Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

November 1 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

November 1 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Living with an alcoholic brings with it special problems that take many forms. If it is the drinker’s erratic behavior, social embarrassment, and other relatively minor problems, it is but a short step, in Al-Anon, to peace of mind for the non-alcoholic.

In others, the family may be deprived of the very necessities of life, and face cruelty, violence, police action, loss of home and need for public assistance.

Indignant at such sufferings, some of us in Al-Anon may feel it right and helpful to advise drastic action. We should always keep in mind, however, that if the person we mean to help makes a decision In hysteria or desperation, it is likely to be the wrong one.

TODAY’s REMINDER

Even in cases that seem hopeless to me, I will refrain from making judgments or giving advice. If I can persuade a desperate wife or husband to try, for even a little while, to understand and use the Al-Anon program, the resulting change in attitude could help to make the right solutions possible.

“God grant that I may never urge anyone to take any action but the constructive one of employing Al-Anon ideas.”