Staying in the Moment...

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying in the Moment...

Hey folks -

So, I had my two job interviews last week. Feedback from both was extremely positive - and both companies said they would need some time to gather thoughts/make an offer. So, I've been waiting patiently (well as patiently as a codie can!). Doing my best to stay in the moment (today!) and have faith that all will work out okay.

I was getting a bit sad yesterday (overwhelmed by the waiting, maybe? Or maybe the whole awkwardness of Halloween school parades, trick/treating/holiday with STBXAH?!)... I know part of it is depression, which I am getting help for. So anyways, I'm working double time on my recovery. Trying so hard to stay in the moment.

I got an email this morning from one of the firms - they are drafting my offer letter and will have it out to me in a day or two! Yeah! So, part of me is getting anxious/fearful (what if the salary is too low? what if the other company never calls back? Nothing good comes from "what ifs", right?!?) and then part of me is stuck daydreaming... wow, maybe the salary would be high enough that I could buy AH out from the house and save us the house sale drama?!?! UGH... Have_to_get_back_to_TODAY.

I *know* that staying in the moment is the only way to get through this. It's just so damn hard. I'm ready to move on with my life.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I am grateful that I have career options. I'm grateful that I have my recovery and a HP who is always watching over me. I know I will get through this.

IF anyone cares to share on their Patience/Staying in the Moment - I'd love to hear your ESH!
Shannon
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I give myself 5 minutes to dwell. I set a timer or an alarm - really! - and that's all I get.

I also have a great prayer I say every morning - someday I should post it here - that asks God and the Universe to help me stay in today and not live in the past or worry about the future. It's taped on the wall in my bathroom so I can recite it while I am drying my hair!

I try to busy myself with other things as much as possible. Get lost in a good book, household chores, crafts/DIY projects, or just taking the dogs for a long walk.

When all else fails - I pray for the strength to get over whatever it is that I am worried or obsessed about - a short little prayer for strength and peace. Many times, just the acknowledgement to myself is enough to change my thinking!

Congrats on the almost job offer...it's great to be moving forward, eh?! You are doing great...progress - not perfection!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Thanks for the post

I *know* that staying in the moment is the only way to get through this. It's just so damn hard.
Thanks for the reminder, I'm having the hardest time living one day at a time.
I'm riddled with anxiety, depression, no job, but I am better staying straight.
Thanks again, have a good day
neferkamichael
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with Tuffgirl...I try to keep myself busy so that my mind doesn't wander off. If I find myself very distressed, I repeat the serenity prayer over and over. I also find yoga very soothing, as your focus is entirely on your breath and body, instead of worries of the mind. I'm not saying I'm an expert (or rather I'm an expert worrier), but any little trick helps!

You're doing SOOOO awesome and YAY for that impending job offer!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here is my mantra (and thank you for this post since it reminded me):

No matter what happens, I will be okay.

It came to me one day as I was reflecting back on my life so far. I've always come out okay. No reason to believe I won't. Most things that have happened (both good and bad) I never saw coming. Most things I worried about never happened. I don't know what my future holds, but I do know that whatever it is, I will be okay.

L
Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Anvil!! Glad to know I'm not alone

I'm comfortable with whatever the outcome ends up being... it will be what it will be. I'm just getting a wee-bit tired of waiting today ;-) I've been pretty good up until this point! Given the major changes I'm making right now... I'm actually doing much better than I ever thought I could do!

I like the idea of the timer, Tuffgirl. That would help me set a limit on the daydreaming I think that's the hardest part - I'm so damn excited about what my "new life" might end up looking like! A new home - all to myself (and the dog and kiddies!)! A new job - where ever that might be - with co-workers!! (which to most people seems icky - but not to me after working from home for 5yrs!)

I guess part of it is that I'm ready to start living that "life"... even though I don't really even know what that life is yet.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like to ask myself " How will this make you happy", it seems to help me acknowledge and release the negative thoughts.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I must have said the serenity prayer 3 billion times a day (really!) when waiting on calls about jobs... The 6 months I was job searching were HELL. Waiting on calls, getting hopeful, being let down, etc... I didn't come up with any great solution but I would say the serenity prayer and remind myself that making myself mental with worry did me no good and then would distract myself by doing something- anything- running errands, trip to the gym, called a friend etc...

Keep up posted about the job stuff... I'm excited for you!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey I posted my daily prayer from Al-Anon's Having Had a Spiritual Awakening - seemed like a good day to do it - I am purposely avoiding several threads which sound quite heated. Yikes!

P.S. I daydream all I want...no timer for that! Just as long as I don't turn it all into expectations - sometimes the daydreams are all I have to hang onto during the rough times!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just for the record, your posts about your career have always seemed to express your competence in your field.
YOU just have to believe that!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

GB, I meant to post here yesterday but I kept being drawn to the "heated" threads.

I chant mantra when I get caught up in things like that. Usually "Namu Amida Butsu" which is calling on the buddha of compassion for help. It's short and easy to repeat and brings me back to the moment. Its for people who find a lot of buddhism to deep to get their arms around easily. The Amida Buddha said that any who call on him he would prepare a place for them in the pure lands so that in their next life they could devote it to becoming a buddha. For me it is a simple reminder that the pure lands are really inside me and all I need to do is listen to my inner wisdom to find my way.

Your friend,
Old 11-04-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, I doubled/tripled up on meetings this week... focused hardcore on my recovery. And it was so worth it!!

I got a call today with my offer information its a good solid offer. The salary is slightly lower than I want. But.. they are very open to negotiate!!! I could totally see myself working for this company. It's good pay, good people. Now I am waiting to hear from the other firm. Now that I have an offer, I will let them know to see where they stand. From what I know, their offer will be higher pay than the one I got today... but I don't think the people are nearly as good to work with.

Funny because last week I had my mind set they other way. Guess that's why its so critical to take your time and wait for more to be revealed, eh?

I'm glad to be making more progress forward!!! I love recovery.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Keep us posted, I am proud of you, you have come so far! Yes, recovery is wonderful!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Coming from someone who in the past made choices about jobs based more on money than on the people I would work with, I'll put my 2 cents in and say that you're on the right track to at least be thinking about valuing the people as much as the pay...

Currently I am making about half of what I would be and had been making in a public school. The people I work with are phenomenal and it makes me glad I'm there vs having waited to find someone making more money, perhaps with people I wouldn't be as content with.

Congrats on the offer!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Coming from someone who in the past made choices about jobs based more on money than on the people I would work with, I'll put my 2 cents in and say that you're on the right track to at least be thinking about valuing the people as much as the pay...

Currently I am making about half of what I would be and had been making in a public school. The people I work with are phenomenal and it makes me glad I'm there vs having waited to find someone making more money, perhaps with people I wouldn't be as content with.

Congrats on the offer!