Trying to find the words...

Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I felt so similar to you last year when I was in the process of divorcing.

I had been doing therapy for a number of years, but Al-anon really, really added to my recovery.

I heard a saying recently that I have really gravitated towards and I think it applies to Al-anon. "There are some wounds we can only heal with other people around us."

Crisis make it hard to focus on anything, and I was there for a long time withe the last crisis. Please continue to take care of you.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think that Al-Anon will give YOU back to YOU. Restore your belief in yourself and work your way back to restoring your trust and faith not only in yourself but in others. It will help you to identify healthy behaviors in YOU as well as others and help you avoid those people and behaviors that don't contribute to your highest good.
Exactly. Al-Anon will not tell you what to do. Al-Anon will put you in an environment where you see your own situation mirrored in other people's, it will provide you with tools to find yourself so that your life no longer is completely focused on your partner and his drinking. I feel like Al-Anon, and this site, gave me back my free will -- or, rather, reminded me that I have a free will, and that I'm responsible for the choices I make -- not the choices anyone else makes.

Take deep breaths and don't feel like you have to solve all your problems in the next ten minutes. And hang out here. This place has a wealth of information that comes in a wealth of forms -- hugs, ideas, understanding, straight-talk.