H.A.L.T. or T.G.I.F.?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

H.A.L.T. or T.G.I.F.?

I know there's another acronym at play--a more fun one: TGIF.

But right now I feel like I need to H.A.L.T.

Hungry: I've been on the road all week, and my diet has suffered. I'm stressed out because I took on too much work in October and it's now biting me in the butt. I've lived off of Doritos and M&Ms all week.

Angry: Not THAT angry. Angry at myself because my commitments to my clients are slipping. Angry at AH because he just came home after drinking all day and talked about how his friends don't understand why I won't go out drinking with him on a Friday. (Helloooo, I have WORK to do? Plus, remember Susy--she went out with one of AH's friends, Joe the Fireman, until he died of liver failure two weeks ago). OK, maybe I AM angry.

Lonely: I just feel alone at having to do all this STUFF to keep on top of the bills. While AH hangs out with his buddies who are criticizing his wife for not hanging out (see "Angry")

Tired: Definitely that. 5 hours of sleep every night. Still have a major report to deliver by Sunday. Yes, tired.

So: Are you TGIF or HALT?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Does your husband work? If not, why not? Why do you run yourself ragged while he hangs out with the guys and drinks all day? Is that alright with you? If not, why not do something about it?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OK, now that i've had a nap, a couple of things:
  1. Actually, he's been working hard, too, this week. But he does have a standing lunch date at a bar on Fridays.
  2. Still, I realize he just isn't going to appreciate the fact that I've been working 12 hour days (and I'm nearly 60 and kind of past that point, frankly. Did it a lot when I was a lot younger, but it's harder to recover from now). He's all wounded because I'm not spending time with him tonight. I'm sleeping.
  3. Enabling: I'm actually kind of happy BECAUSE he was b*tching about my not being there and how he can't take me anywhere with alcohol so dinner is reduced to a pizza place. I didn't really realize my boundaries had actually sunk in, so that makes me feel good.
  4. Detachment: Another case where something good has been spun around to seem awful. He started to talk to me about how some of his "friends"/bar flies were asking why I didn't care about this or that (he wouldn't tell me exactly what) and then he said, "You don't care about anything, do you?" My interprestation of that is, he is sensing my detachment, and he's turning it around.
  5. Even his turning it around is a compliment. I remember reading something an old sage Buddhist said and it was SOMETHING like (I've been searching for the exact quote and I can't find it): "The reason I'm happy is because I don't care how things work out" If I've gotten to that point, I'm pretty pleased with myself!

So, that's what an hour's sleep can do. So now I'm just H.A.L. Maybe just H.L. I think I'll go take care of the H part.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LOL...can relate to the T.G.I.F. and H.A.L.T. For me I have been looking into TCM (traditional chinese medicine) to help balance and then saw your post...made me laugh. I sincerly will be praying you have a restful, peaceful and balanced weekend.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Solomio-

I can relate to the feelings you expressed in H.A.L.T, and I can also relate to the silverlinings you are discussing in the next post.

Finally is it not amazing how we can do something simple to take care of ourselves and other pieces start falling into place?