Annoyed by ah

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Annoyed by ah

I just can't stand being around/talking to my husband when he is drunk. We used to be drunk together, but now I have stopped. Because of this, I feel like a hypocrite. He says (thinks) he's cutting back, but in reality he's drinking more, and stronger beer. It doesn't rven make me want to drink when he's drinking. I just get annoyed with the drunkness.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are entitled to the way you feel. As for feeling like a hypocrite, don't. Growing and changing is part of life.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Years ago in college I was a typical frat guy, binge drinking every weekend, well after a couple of fights that really got out of hand I just decided to stop drinking, I guess to just see if I could.

Man people that I thought were my friends just drove me crazy, I don't know how bartenders can stand it, I cannot think of anything more annoying than being sober around a drunk.

Do you have a place where you can just get away from it, a comfortable room where you can go and read, watch TV, or sleep.

Maybe just let him know, "this is my quite space where I retreat to when you are drunk".

You cannot fix him, you can only control your own behavior, al-anon would be a great place to go for support and information.

Hope it works out, best of luck to you.

Bill
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think sometimes you just grow apart. You grow they don't. You mature they don't.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been there ... used to drink socially too. But someone has to be the responsible one - the designated driver, etc. The thing is that you weren't prone to alcoholism and quit when it didn't suit you any longer. The other thing is that he's an alcoholic and it's not much fun to participate in ...