Has anyone here considered a "marital tort"

Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Apology accepted. I do believe that it should be both ways, when in fact, it is not. I do know what the legal system denies men. I am also sorry for my harsh words.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow! People being introspective, self aware, even apologizing! This is such the complete opposite of dealing with alcoholic H. Lol. It's nice to see thoughtful discussion and respect (even when we disagree) on this forum. Recovery in action....
Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dude, this post is fine...

...but your other's were out of line. You got exactly the response from Amy your post deserved.

Grind this particular axe elsewhere. This isn't the forum for it.

BTW, I have a penis.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by Programmatic View Post
I misspoke. A man can file marital tort. Anyone who can retain an attorney can file marital tort.

I'm trying to keep this discussion in the context under which I entered it. amy55 exclaimed publicly, to me a male, that I should never think that I cannot get compensation by way of marital tort. Her encouragement was based on her success with the practice.

My response is that while a man can certainly file a marital tort there is sufficient reason for him to think that he will not actually be awarded any compensation as there are ample historical rulings to substantiate such musing.

The irony in this is that marital tort, or heartbalm law, was historically law strictly reserved for men to exercise.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yay

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
I did, I counter filed on the grounds of extreme mental cruelty. I think that I could have won this in court. Had enough to back it. I had police records, friends (hearsay though) tape recordings (inadmissable), but I could have requested a jury.

My ex knew I had enough, so after going from he will not pay me alimony at all, I got a decent alimony check, plus when he retires, a big chunk of that, in addition to a $500,000 life insurance policy, in case he croaks.

Don't ever think that you can't get this, I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good for you!! Hugs
Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say that I was going to leave here today. I thank everyone for their posts. I think I need to especially thank Programmatic. In earlier days I would have just backed down, but not now. I do understand how this post could have triggered the opposite sex. He was right about that. I do thank him for his opinion.

What I have learned is that no one is totally right, and no one is totally wrong. I don't think that alcoholism and abuse is gender based. I do think that it could be either one, could also be both. Not saying here that it takes two to tango. It takes two to make a marriage. It takes a lot of co-dependency to put up with things, that no one should put up with.

I, for one, am happy that I did not leave today. I learned a lot.

Yes, it's not that hard to file a marital tort, but yes, it is a lot harder for a man to file this. This isn't right, but it is what it is for now. Hope that things change.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm glad you're staying, amy. I enjoy your posts.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I'm glad you're staying, amy. I enjoy your posts.
Thank you. I didn't want to leave here. I belong in a lot of places on here. I'm glad that you enjoy my posts. I have a really hard time with them. I always need to put myself in that position, or to relate to what happened to me. I am sober since 8/2/2011. Big accomplishment for me. Just trying to figure out the rest of my life now.

And thanks again, you have always been there for me.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, you don't have to figure it all out by 2:00pm tomorrow, so relax a little. Take it a step at a time and you'll do fine.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Suki,

Thanks again, first laugh I had all day. No I don't have to figure anything out, today, tomorrow or the next day. You really shouldn't have to figure anything out. Gotta get used to that.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad you resolved this issue, it's a shame to expend your energy other than in finding serenity-I don't even know what a marital tort is -some kind of gateau you fight over perhaps!