Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

October 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

October 12 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Once upon a time, there was an Enormous Thumb belonging to a woman with an Alcoholic Husband and Three Teenaged Children.

The four of them lived under her thumb, so of course they couldn’t do much growing up. Often their spirits writhed under the weight; every time they tried to get out from under, they’d do something wrong and the thumb would clamp down on them again.

Father managed by keeping himself flattened out drunk most of the time; he was so cute about escaping to a bottle that, no matter how much mama watched, she couldn’t catch him at it until he’d drunk himself into unconsciousness. Everyone thought she was a Very Nice Lady, and they were sorry she was having such a hard time with her family.

There was really no reason for her to come to Al-Anon to solve her problems because she always knew just what to do about everything. But she did want to make her husband stop drinking, so she thought she’d try it. She was quite unhappy at first because some of the members were not inclined to Pull Any Punches. She was quite indignant when they tried to show her what she was doing to her family, but to everyone’s amazement, the Thumb began to shrink and lose weight, and things looked brighter.

More and more she realized what she was doing and, being a Determined Character, she applied the program every day and her other problems took care of themselves very nicely.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

Being under the thumb...I used to call it Tupperware referring to my childhood and teen years. You know, tupperware. Sealed up with no breathable air. Keep all the stuff she thought was bad, sealed out. Thumb works to describe it too.

Not something I like remembering. Surely not something I ever want to pass on to others.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeredithD1 View Post
Being under the thumb...I used to call it Tupperware referring to my childhood and teen years. You know, tupperware. Sealed up with no breathable air. Keep all the stuff she thought was bad, sealed out. Thumb works to describe it too.

Not something I like remembering. Surely not something I ever want to pass on to others.
You described it so well...no breathable air.

Not something I like remembering either.