OT Decisions..

Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OT Decisions..

Please allow me to keep talking about off topic stuff ... (I am kind of using SR like a Facebook only with people I do like...!)

So I was thinking about my master's degree in Sweden

-advantages
I like the teaching style
I am interested in the language and know a bit
My dad is "closer" in Finland
I have been there already so it is not that scary
Health system is free or almost free

-disadvantages
60,000 USD minimum. Could get a scholarship but I would be in debt for the next 10 years minimum.

Then I went to an expo about degrees in Europe and was talking to an older man, I learned about Germany and their scholarships which are true scholarships and you don't have to pay afterwards! they even help with the airplane ticket.

-advantages
Money would not be an issue

-disadvantages
I do not know German not am sure if I would be passionate about the language (as I am with Swedish).
Do not know about their education system and feel I might not be smart enough for it.
Not so "close" to my dad

It turns out the man I was talking to and joking with is the Regional Latin American director for scholarships given by the Development Institution of Germany (not sure about the exact title of the organization..) and recommended me to ask for it but before the 14th! they only give 2 scholarships for Latam each year.

Now I am panicking and not sure to apply, what is wrong with me?? I am afraid I will not be smart enough and they take away the scholarship :/ and come back home a failure... and jobless ! OMG my fear of failure...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Maybe I just send my papers to everyone and let Destiny decide???
Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As far as I know, being awarded a scholarship does not oblige you to accept it. Nobody's going to drag you to Germany against your will, lol.

So, why not apply and see what happens? If you get it, THEN you can agonize over what to do.

L
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it is awesome you are thinking big and LaTeeDa is exactly right. Rock on!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OMG! I have to rush as deadline is in less than a week.

Advantage: I like German techno. Lol.

OMG how would a VEGAN survive there ????? cabbage ? potatoes?

I am excited now I need to get a boob job, second job as waiter or whatever and that will be the road to success LOL
Old 10-07-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks friends, I am excited about the possibilities, and it all comes from knowing myself a bit more

I noticed how much I enjoy travel and international atmospheres

At the expo there were also Fashion Institutes! I was thinking hmmmmmmm Summer... I could learn a bit about design in say, Milan .....

I will get on by bread and water the next year.

I can't believe how much my life has improved since I place myself first I owe it to you wise SR counsel !

At least that was a good thing I learned from XBF, he served some purpose .. made me more aware about my money and spending it more wisely...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do some more research on Sweden before you make up your mind.
Specifically, check out the UN crime statistics for rape and assault.
I kid you not. It's ugly.

And don't believe what you've read about the great Swedish health care. I could write you an essay about the horrors of it.

Go to Germany. Safer, cheaper, and nicer.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TC, I left the US for 7 months and did the language immersion thing. I will never ever regret it, one of the most awesome things I did. I didn't lead to a new career or a new future but it still enriches me every day.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks lillamy, whatever it is I donīt feel it would be worse than my current location MEXICO one of the reasons I am leaving is insecurity and horrible stuff going on the last few years. But I am still considering Germany of course, reading about their programs.

Another option is Finland, free university too...
And Singapore is way cheaper and I loved it when I lived there..

An ex told me he has been trying to get masterīs degree scholarships, he is a damn GENIUS, why hasnīt he got them??????? oh well I will try myself, perhaps someone notices I am a woman from the 3rd world in the IT world and gives me a chance! although knowing this was a bit discouraging. Iīll have fun knocking doors and God will tell ... thanks for your support !!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sounds like a wonderful adventure and a great opportunity for growth!!! i agree with anvil, don't close any doors, because you never know what awaits you on the other side.

while i've never been to sweden, i have been to germany and it is absolutely GORGEOUS. i thought the language sounded crude and abrupt until i listened to the people surrounding me in conversation. it was quite easy to pick up simple phrases (which should be expected, considering the close relation of english and german) and much more animated and flowing than i expected.

good luck! i'm excited for you!!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks anvil and shawty! you are right, no one will "take away" anything although I feel a bit of pressure due to my age .... but yes, need to calm down...

Also need to really love the program, not just chose something because it looks easier or because its cheaper, in that case I would rather stay where I am
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am German and went to university there before continuing in the U.S. No worries about not being smart enough!!! And it's very easy to be vegan in Germany. Lots and lots and lots of health food stores and farmer's markets. Go for it!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Yes and when I am stuck in the middle of an advanced mathematics - probability I will remember you :S my biggest fear is losing my scholarship ! thanks for the encouragement though!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't let failure be an option. Take the word out of your vocabulary. And be very grateful instead that you, as a woman, have so many wonderful choices to make!

And don't let student loans scare you away from higher education either. First of all, you have to dig but there are other options out there to help supplement the costs. And secondly, the occupation you are preparing to enter may pay enough to justify the loan after wards, or maybe you can do a few years of support for service (working for someone who pays off your loans).

There is always a way, if you are determined. And having done two master's programs already - the hardest and most laborious part of higher education is that darn bachelor's degree. Everything above and beyond that is way more interesting and focused!

Keep us posted...