Blogs

Notices

First pictures of Poppy the foster

Old 09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My oldest, almost 14, my greyhound, and my little Westie currently sleep with me, as well as at least 1 cat!
When I acquired my Belgians, I went and bought a Queen Size Bed.

Once I get moved to Columbus, IN (by February next year) my new Master Bedroom will have a KING SIZE bed, roflmao

Oh what we do for our fur kids.

Yep moving back to Southern Midwest and smack dab in some great "Belgian Sheepdog Country", lmao

And yes, plans are in the works to acquire at least one more Belgian and possibly two, lol

Love and hugs,
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have been amazed at the last two weeks of potty-training Lola. All of the sudden, she seemed to "get it". She now lets me know when she needs to go out and pee, but the pooping is still a challenge. I get those nightly presents too, but amazingly she has taken to doing it on the training pads I put down, so there's another connection made. I am so pleased and she gets lots of praise and treats every time she "goes" outside, so this must seem like a HUGE thing to her and what fun! Go pee outside and everyone loves and feeds me treats - yippee!

Personally, I think pitbulls are much smarter than given credit for. My big girl got lost several miles out from a trailhead. She ran all the way back and waited for me at the car in the parking lot. Other people tried to lure her away but she wouldn't leave the drivers side door, even for treats from strangers. I was amazed! I mean, she knew my car in a full lot and wouldn't budge until I got there.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
When I acquired my Belgians, I went and bought a Queen Size Bed.

Once I get moved to Columbus, IN (by February next year) my new Master Bedroom will have a KING SIZE bed, roflmao

Oh what we do for our fur kids.

Yep moving back to Southern Midwest and smack dab in some great "Belgian Sheepdog Country", lmao

And yes, plans are in the works to acquire at least one more Belgian and possibly two, lol
Yeah, an upgrade to a king is in my future at some point!

Gee, now why am I not surprised to hear of future acquisition of more Belgians?!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Personally, I think pitbulls are much smarter than given credit for. My big girl got lost several miles out from a trailhead. She ran all the way back and waited for me at the car in the parking lot. Other people tried to lure her away but she wouldn't leave the drivers side door, even for treats from strangers. I was amazed! I mean, she knew my car in a full lot and wouldn't budge until I got there.
Now that is amazing! I know they are smart! My last girl was something else, needed a lot of mental stimulation. I'm forever grateful she introduced me to the world of pitbulls.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Gee, now why am I not surprised to hear of future acquisition of more Belgians?!
Yeah you remember when Judy told me "they are like Lays Potato Chips you can't have just one." And smarty pants me said 'NOT ME.' roflmao

but amazingly she has taken to doing it on the training pads I put down, so there's another connection made.
Now, training pads start getting moved slowly closer to the door you normally take her out. Also, hang a bell at her 'nose height' and ring it every time you take her out. Before long ......................................... she will run to the door and bounce the bell with her nose to go out for both.

Ah yes, our fur kids are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be lost without mine!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Also, hang a bell at her 'nose height' and ring it every time you take her out. Before long ......................................... she will run to the door and bounce the bell with her nose to go out for both.
That is awesome advice - I am trying that...off to the craft store in search of a bell she won't want to eat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuffgirl For This Useful Post:
MTSlideAddict (10-01-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hey Dev.

Being Friday I suspect you are at work.

Please let us know how Miss Poppy did today with you gone, lol and how she greeted you upon your return.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-01-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey Dev.

Being Friday I suspect you are at work.

Please let us know how Miss Poppy did today with you gone, lol and how she greeted you upon your return.

Love and hugs,
Miss Poppy day-boarded at the vet's this week, but today I crated her at home and left Miss Bug out (you already know the results of that lol).

I've never seen a puppy get so excited and she was all wiggles and kisses!

She appears to be fitting in quite nicely.

I also crated her before I fixed their supper tonight, and it went very smoothly. Thanks for the suggestion, Laurie!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You are welcome.

She will 'settle' in, and once she realizes she always get food, every day, like clockwork, some of her 'enthusiasm' should subside and there will be less chance of her resource guarding.

I am sorry that Miss Bug likes toilet paper and towel paper so much, roflmao but that does seem to be a 'favorite' of many fur kids. I have to keep my 'extras' in a cabinet that mine cannot open (child lock on cabinet, lol), and bathroom doors are always closed, even when I am home, lmao

I think with a bit of diligence you will find Miss Poppy her own Air Kennel (cave) on Freecycle or Craigs for little or no money. If you don't, let me know, I have extra ones and could 'ground ship' one to you.

And if you find one and there are no cap and screws for assembling it, just use small plastic 'ties' similar to what they use for handcuffs or get heavy duty picture hanging wire and put through and twist tight, lol people will get rid of Air Kennels when they lose the cap and screws for assembly. lol

Take care of YOU too, I know you are hurting bad right now.

Love and hugs,
The Following User Says Thank You to laurie6781 For This Useful Post:
Freedom1990 (10-01-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I signed up for Freecycle but am having a heck of a time figuring it out!

I'm going to check Craigslist too. I know how to navigate that!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I got my XL air kennel at a garage sale for 10 bucks. And so far, Lola loves going in there. It is now my sofa side table, covered with a sheet so it is very cave like. I put her in there when we are gone, and when we are home to give the other dogs a break. she's still being a punk toward the other dogs and harrasses my Boston something fierce!

How is Poppy getting along with the other dogs?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I got my XL air kennel at a garage sale for 10 bucks. And so far, Lola loves going in there. It is now my sofa side table, covered with a sheet so it is very cave like. I put her in there when we are gone, and when we are home to give the other dogs a break. she's still being a punk toward the other dogs and harrasses my Boston something fierce!

How is Poppy getting along with the other dogs?
Cheapest air kennel I've found so far is $30 over in Wichita. I'm going to contact them today.

She's doing very well. She's learned to leave my greyhound and my very old Golden retriever mix alone. She "hangs" with Kenna, Ku'a, Miss Bug, and Bella the baggle all the time! She loves being out in the back yard, and they frequently chase each other around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freedom1990 For This Useful Post:
Tuffgirl (10-02-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Neither of my other dogs really want to play with this puppy. I actually thought last night I should get another small younger dog and balance out the age of the pack. Then I realized I am becoming the crazy dog lady of the neighborhood...and that made me laugh! ; )

I may still do it, who knows?! I am just getting tired of the fighting. I know they are establishing pack order here but its annoying and she just wants someone to play with.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Neither of my other dogs really want to play with this puppy. I actually thought last night I should get another small younger dog and balance out the age of the pack. Then I realized I am becoming the crazy dog lady of the neighborhood...and that made me laugh! ; )

I may still do it, who knows?! I am just getting tired of the fighting. I know they are establishing pack order here but its annoying and she just wants someone to play with.
Kenna isn't quite 11 months old, and Ku'a just turned a year old in March. Bella turned a year old in July, so they are great for playing with Poppy!

I got a bunch of outdoor pics awhile ago, so need to edit those and get them up!