Facial twitch?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facial twitch?

Hi all,,
I am desperately trying to stop my drinking, and doing ok. My husband also drinks but has much longer than I have. He has been drinking less lately, which is good. Lately, I have noticed that he has a twitch on his face, kind of his upper lip. I don't think it's always been there. We've been together 4 years and I can't imagine I never noticed. It almost seems like a nervous tic, but I somehow feel drinking is involved. It does happen when he isn't drinking also. Anyone ever seen this??
Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It could be stress related, or possibly medication, he should discuss this with his doctor asap, could be nothing but better safe than sorry.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

I recall this in myself years ago. For me it was after a little bender and maybe the second day dry. I still remember to this day I was talking to a student that was close to me and my lip was twitching. She had issues of her own in her family and I think she saw through me that day. She never mentioned it, but I could tell by the look on her face.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is quite common for heavy drinkers to have electrolyte imbalances, this sounds like it might be hypocalcemia (low calcium). Mostly this can be corrected by getting some nutrition insyead of just drinking, unless the person is acutely detoxing in the hospital or a detox place, in which case they would put some calcium in an IV.