Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

September 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 09-23-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

September 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

One of our delusions is that we, as spouses of alcoholics, are “running the show.” This form of self-deception can only increase our frustrations. It makes the home a battleground in which the alcoholic has the best chance of winning every encounter. We are often outwitted by the alcoholic’s lightning changes of mood, his promises, challenges and other maneuvers. This is the best reason for detaching our minds and our emotions from the minute-by-minute conflict and seeking a peaceful, orderly way of life within ourselves. If we stop fighting out every incident that happens, absence of an active adversary is bound to bring about wholesome changes in the home environment and everyone in it.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will not try to outwit or outmaneuver anyone else, but will proceed quietly to live my life so I will have less reason for self-reproach. I will withdraw my mind from what others do, and think of what I am doing. I will not react to challenging words and actions.

“When you are offended at any man’s fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger.