De-Stress

Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

De-Stress

How do you de-stress during the day, or on those crazy days where you're all wound up?

I'm just feeling very anxious and snippy today and I can't seem to shake it.

I just want to tell everyone to F*@k off!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One word - gratitude.

L
Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exercise --- I'm less keyed up if I'm tired and sweaty
Distraction --- get out of the house, go see a movie, walk around the mall, clean out a closet, call a friend, anything that keeps my mind off my troubles. I try to make plans and follow through on them.
Focus on what's important --- do something fun and spontaneous with the kids, even just getting an ice cream or going swimming, etc. Brush the dogs, hug the cats, write in a journal, make my house look pretty, work in the garden....whatever is important to you and your vision of a "good" life
A good cry --- releases a lot of tension
Supportive literature --- I sit down and read something from Al Anon or read here on SR

Hang in there! I am having similar times, some days are good, some are OK, some are filled with anguish. Focus on One Day at a Time or even One Hour at a Time.

Also....if you're a woman, keep track of your cycle. I'm finding that my worst days are those prior to my period. Darn hormones!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

If it's a specific incident, or a general collection of incidents that I can put my finger on (a.k.a. "I'm having a rough day") I distract myself by doing something nice for me - going out for a nice lunch, buying something I've been meaning to get for myself but keep putting off, make something nice for dinner, etc.

If it's just a general feeling of frustration or stress, and I can't link it to anything, I'll try to spend some time by myself to reflect on things, think about the things I am grateful for, etc. If I still can't place what's bothering me, the things on SoaringSpirit's list are great!
Except exercise, exercise always seems too healthy when I'm in a blue funk. I haven't been able to do that yet, although I'm sure a good walk (or stomp!) around outside would make me feel better, too.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

• Breath: five long and deep cleansing breaths help me calm down
  • Prayer: The serenity prayer and speaking directly to HP, asking for guidance, helps me turn whatever situation around and see the positive in it.
  • Stretching: taking 5 minutes out, whether in the ladies room or standing at the copier, to stretch my neck, shoulders, back and legs helps me unwind
  • Smiling: A good laugh with a friend or just cracking a smile can make a huge difference in my day.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice.

It's really hard for me to just chill at work sometimes. I get all wound up about home, and bring it into work with me. I've been really snippy all day with my coworkers. Sometimes I just want to go in the bathroom and scream at the top of my lungs. (It would be kind of awkward if I actually did. lol)

I made it through the day though.

Picked up some lavendar incense on the way home and am just enjoying that, and playing with my little boy.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WE have a book at work called "What Are You So Grumpy About?" It is a kids book about feelings.

We pass it around on occasion to gently remind others of their mood, but more often the grumpy one of us asks where the book is, places it on his/her desk for the day and tries to read it before the end of the day. When it is on my desk it helps me to be gentle with myself about my grumpiness, and it allows others to not to have to take me so seriously.

I agree with all of the above posts too. I am learning meditation and that helps also.

Finally judging the feeling ALWAYS makes it worse for me, and harder to not stay stuck in it.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes I borrow my son's xbox and play his racing game where you get points for the number of cars you crash into. I think I'm a child in an adult body LOL.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CagedBird View Post
Thanks for the advice.

It's really hard for me to just chill at work sometimes. I get all wound up about home, and bring it into work with me. I've been really snippy all day with my coworkers. Sometimes I just want to go in the bathroom and scream at the top of my lungs. (It would be kind of awkward if I actually did. lol)
Go into the bathroom stall, shake your fists, and scream silently. I do it all the time (so the kids won't hear me scream)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

YOUTUBE
with headphones...
especially uptempo oldies ie "do you love me, now that I can dance"..from happy feet
cyndi lauper "girls just wanna have fun"
anything with an attitude... shania twain "man, I feel like a woman"
maybe not too easy at work, but...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cagedbird, I was thinking about your post yesterday. When I was a kid growing up in the 70s, my parents were involved in a lot of 'new age' stuff. They were good parents who worked hard to become better people. My dad could have a really angry side to him, which he worked on a lot. One of the things his therapist had him do was to cut a length of garden hose and go out and beat on the woodpile! Us kids would hear Dad out there whacking on the woodpile and yelling "HAAAAHH!" To this day, there are lots of family jokes about dad's 'therapy.'

Yesterday I felt so angry. So I cut a section of old garden hose and went out and whacked on my own woodpile. Nobody was home and thank goodness I live out in the country with few neighbors around. I beat on the woodpile and yelled a lot. I felt so silly....and so much better. It got me thinking that there must be some good ways to release this tension (better than woodpile beating) that I need to look into. What are good physical ways to vent?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Deep breathing, walking, hitting the heavy bag, boxing class and weight lifting.

Your friend,