struggling with self care

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Finding peace, Like you I've gone through some tremendous depression. I also also resistant to meds and feel like I want to really feel what is going on. I saw my MD about taking antidepressants, and she told me to go home and double the amount of exercise I am getting. Frustrating, but I took her advice. It does help.

But what has worked for me in pulling myself out of this funk is to say "I am going to take 15 minutes and clean up the house (or start a load of laundry, or shower, or pay bills), then I can go back to doing whatever I want to do." I set a time for 15 minutes and work fast. At the end of the 15 minutes I always start to feel better, so set the time for another 15 minutes and do some more cleaning, or whatever needs doing. This is a variation of "one day at a time" as in "one quarter hour at a time." It's baby steps. Getting some sort of forward motion. Try it, it really does help.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm with you.
I just finished school and now I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I can get the kids ready for school, drive them there and then come home and crawl in bed. I tend not to move until it's time to pick them up and then right back in bed.
I try, I really do to get up about 30 min before husband leaves work..gives me an hour to get something done.

I'm not sure if I'm just freaking out w/ all this free time since school is over or if I'm depressed (I know I'm not happy) or if I'm just resentful of the fact that no matter what I do...it isn't enough for my husband. FIrst day after graduation..I cleaned the floors BY HAND...dusted, moved furniture...all kinds of stuff.. he came home and said..'what did you do after lunch?"....he was kidding but I was really kinda pissed. I mean who does he think he is? uggg. I"m just feeling weird I think.
Once I get a job I think I'll be okay.... I do cook for my family...hate it, but I do it. So I guess I'm hanging in there. If u find a solution please share!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No solutions. Just a day at a time.

I don't have judgement about anyone taking meds. I tried to make that clear. I USED to. Now, I am taking it under consideration for myself.

I called a dear friend who gave me a good talking to and that helped.

I have a friend visiting this week with her 3 year old and another visiting with his partner next week, and I find distractions are very helpful.

Hugs to you all. We can do this.

fp
Old 09-21-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

LMAO!! Yes, the safety of screen names is a salvation...which allows us to open up things we push down inside.
Now, a bit of gratitude for you: I do all that you mention. I don't have a job, so you are one step ahead of me on that. Take that as the compliment that it is intended as.
The alcoholic boyfriend in my life was sadly the one thing that I see as giving me a purpose.
BAD BAD excuse on my part.
So I am going to get up and do something for 5 minutes. They say 15, I will do good to make 5.
Grey's anatomy has season premiere tomorrow night. I won't feel guilty on that.
Be kind to you. We all have our flaws...but we also have our strengths.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Is seems like you need more help than what al-anon can offer, though.