So- she sets the boundary and then breaks it?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So- she sets the boundary and then breaks it?

I am confused. Boundary (manipulative one, at that--long story): I don't want to see you, interact with you or your family ever again.

And then she calls my house and wants to talk-- my child hands me the phone and she acts like nothing ever happened? That she didn't call me a bad mother, ridicule my friends, question ALL of my parenting skills..... really? I haven't forgotten but she is just assuming that since 2 months have passed that I will forgive and forget (again)?

I don't get it. I have not forgotten. I will not forget. This is such a pattern with her and I don't know where to go from here? Do I just sit down with her and lay out MY boundary?

Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

yep...time and time again, people will test you...but also, you will receive "flack" for setting boundaries..people dont like that, and especially when you stick with them....

this boundary is for you..stick with it..no shame in SELF CARE
Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can't control what she does/doesn't do. You said this is a pattern with her.

What you do have control over is you and your choices, including boundaries you may set with her. Be consistent. She probably won't like it but that's her problem, not yours.

Sending hugs of support.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Skipper

No, what she gave you was a manipulation, not a boundary.

When we have boundaries, we don't even have to voice them. We don't have to make a big announcement. You can, but you don't have to.

For instance, a boundary can be: If my A starts to drink, I will leave the event.

If my A calls me after 9:00 p.m., it is likely s/he is drunk. I won't answer the phone.

If my A continues to upset my family's status quo, I will not have contact. You can either tell your A this if you want, or you can simply not take their calls, visits, or receive their communications at all. That is for you to limit, if you wish. Some people voice their boundaries to their A. I believe actions speak louder than words.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

She is an alcoholic, she really has no idea what she is doing or saying. Addicts lack impulse control.

Because she called didn't mean that you had to talk to her. You chose to do that.

If you don't want to have a relationship with her, set your bounderies and stick to them.

I am aware of your situation, however, only you can control your involvement with her.

She controls the dialing part of her phone, you control the hanging up part of your phone.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
She is an alcoholic, she really has no idea what she is doing or saying. Addicts lack impulse control.

Because she called didn't mean that you had to talk to her. You chose to do that.

If you don't want to have a relationship with her, set your bounderies and stick to them.

I am aware of your situation, however, only you can control your involvement with her.

She controls the dialing part of her phone, you control the hanging up part of your phone.
Thank you for that clarity. I guess after such a vile attack a couple months ago and her 'boundary' I just didn't expect to hear from her. I was so shocked that I didn't even think to hang up. I spent most of the approx. 2 minutes with my mouth literally hanging open.

Now I will be ready next time... for as we all know... there will be a next time.