Sponsor?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor?

How does one go about choosing a sponsor? I've been to only a handful of meetings thus far and haven't particularly connected with anyone. How quickly do I need to get on with getting one?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by Thlayli View Post
How does one go about choosing a sponsor? I've been to only a handful of meetings thus far and haven't particularly connected with anyone. How quickly do I need to get on with getting one?
It's entirely up to you. When you find the right one, you'll know.
In the meantime, just keep going to meetings, talking with people afterward, and working on your recovery.
Also, keep the phone list from the meetings you have attended so you have someone to call when you feel like talking outside of the meeting.

Something others have suggested in this forum, as well, is that it's okay to decide you want a sponsor now, and rather than ask someone simply say something during your sharing in the meeting about how you're looking for a sponsor, and then see who approaches you after the meeting. This works great for those of us who are still worrying about rejection, since if someone asks you if they can be your sponsor, you already know they won't say no!

Take as long as you need to find a sponsor. When you are ready, and you want one, you will know.