The Language of Letting go - Sept 6th - The Good in step 10

Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wink The Language of Letting go - Sept 6th - The Good in step 10

Step 10 says: "Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly addmited it". It does not suggest that we ignore what is right in our life. It says we continue to take a personal inventory and keep a focus on ourselves.

When we take an inventory, we will want to look for many things. We can search out feelings that need lour attention. We can look for low self-esteem creeping back in. We can look for old ways of thinking, feeling and behaving. We can look for mistakes that need correcting.

But a critical part of our inventory can focus on what wer're doing right and on all that is good around us.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Part of our codependency is an obsessive focus on what's wrong and what we might be doing wrong - real or imagined. In recovery, we're learning to focus on what's right.

Look fearlessly, with a loving, positive eye.

What did you do right today? Did you behave differently today than you would have a year ago? Did you reach out to someone and allow yourself to be vulnerable? You can compliment yourself for that.

Did you have a bad day but dealt effectively with it? Did you practice gratitude or acceptance? Did you take a risk, own your power, or set a boundary? Did you take responsibility for yourself in a way that you might not have before?

Did you take time for prayer or meditation? Did you trust God? Did you let someone do something for you?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Even on our worst days, we can find one thing we did right. We can find something to feel hopeful about. We can find something to look forward to. We can focus realistically on visions of what can be.

God, help me let go of my need to stay immersed in negativity. I can change the energy in myself and my environment from negative ti positive. I will affirm the good until it sinks in and feels real. I will also strive to find one quality that I like about someone else who's important to me, and I will take the risk of telling him or her that.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I am soooo glad this is the first thread I read today! What a great way to start the day!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

God, help me let go of my need to stay immersed in negativity.

I am so immersed in negativity, I find it very difficult to think positive... positive people are like aliens to me. If I think positive it feels fake. The funny thing is that people tell me I am positive! I can get excited about things and do them and be happy for a while but deep down I truly believe it won't work, it won't happen, it will suck at the end, and I just won't make it! There is a voice that says "who do you think you are trying to achieve X?"

Supposedly when dealing with health issues thinking positive has a huge impact on recovery, I am having a really hard time trying to trust... life. HP.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Trying to think positive never works for me. I find that if I let go of the past and future, and focus on the moment at hand, the negativity sort of just goes away. Thinking too much (positively or otherwise) is overrated, lol. The more I go where life takes me, the more positive I feel.

Maybe you're trying too hard? It's okay to be negative, when the present moment requires it. Hanging on to the negativity once the event has passed is what prevents the positive.

L

Last edited by LaTeeDa; 09-07-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TC, first off ((((hugs))))

I have been using my own personal mantra lately. I take a deep breath and say to myself " this is my life and life is good".

Even when I don't feel that way. Fake it till you feel it.

It works.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am waiting on the book: the language of letting go to arrive in the mail. I've just recently discovered my codependent self. I can't wait for the thing to get here.