Being thankful for what we do have...

Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being thankful for what we do have...

My 23-year-old was devastated to learn that her ABF took a job back in Syracuse NY where he grew up at.

I knew it would come eventually as he had been on her for over a year to uproot and move back with him. She dug her feet in and and refused to budge.

I won't lose sleep over him being gone, but I digress.

She told me the other day that she was so focused on losing him that she wasn't seeing what other people have been doing for her.

She's been worrying about paying her pasture rent as she's fallen behind, and the couple she rents from told her not to even worry about pasture rent till next January. This couple is a jewel.

Our veterinarian offered her a job. She never applied but our vet knew she'd be perfect. She's now full-time, and it's a steady paycheck for her. This is the first job she has really loved.

I helped her out with groceries last month.

She has had friends call to check on her since the ABF left.

It's a lesson I would do well to renew myself. Be grateful for what I do have in life, rather than focusing on the have nots.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so grateful for my life today after living with an abusive alcoholic father and husband. I am semi retired happy with my little patio apt. in my childhood bestfriend's house.....(she divorced about the same time). I live quietly with a 35 yr. old bird and 3 cats. I volunteer at AA intergroup, I am sober 7 yrs. this month, after relapsing after 9 yrs.in recovery and 5 years out. I work the steps today instead of doing recovery "cafeteria style" the first time. I recognize my codependency. I don't get complacent about meetings. I go to several AA and Alanon meetings each week. I live a quiet HP lead life today. It is chaos/drama free. I call people and did a 4th/ 5th step and am working on the rest. I pray. I learned to meditate. I eat right and even exercise and save a little $. As far as $, I ask myself do I want it or do I really need it ? I am so grateful I found SR. It's all good. Not alone/ all ONE.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

So true, and at age 23 to have the maturity to recognize her blessings tells me that you did a fine job raising that young lady. Be proud mama!