O/T? Aug 31 is Overdose Awareness Day

Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

O/T? Aug 31 is Overdose Awareness Day

Hey Every body

I wanted to remind you all about Overdose Awareness Day. This is a post from a friends who lost her son to a drug over dose from a list-serve I am on,(permission granted) and I wanted to share this info with you.

She talks about a drug that is effective in stopping an overdose, naloxone.

Also, will be lighting candles for my loved ones who have passed due to overdose.

God Bless us all in our journeys.

I was in the same place most of you are - my son was home & then was not & then was -over & over. It turned out I could not have helped him when he overdosed because he wasn't with me. However, I didn't even KNOW what naloxone was at that time so had he overdosed at home I would have been useless - I'm sure I could not have recognized what was wrong in the early stages& might have waited to late for the EMTS. But that is my story & Ian's story - unchangeable.

Some of your situations deal with loved ones still immersed in the struggle. Saying to an addicted son or daughter - "I just found about about this drug (narcan/naloxone) that can save your life and I"m going to get it, learn how to use it and give you some as well." - might just be the thing that 1. ends up actually saving their lives, 2. gives them access to something that will save one of their friends lives or 3. opens up a dialog wherein you both manage for a time to put the emotional outbreaks of dealing with explosive topics surrounding the drug use aside for a few minutes - a time where you can both acknowledge honestly what is going on and where you can say to them "I care so much about you that I went out and made it my business to find out how to save your life."

That sends a powerful message to your loved one that you aren't going to abandon them for lack of knowledge and love. And it removes the power of the drug that stands between the two of you as you both struggle forward - hopefully to a place where their drug habits are far behind. It happens. Not every addicted person ends up overdosed. Not every mother and father, lover ends up posting on GRASP their absolute agony.