OT - Life is an adventure!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Life is an adventure!

Six years ago, I was living in hell. I dreaded coming home from work because I knew there would be a drunk there waiting for me. I endured verbal and emotional abuse daily. I had a knot in my stomach all day every day. Most nights I cried myself to sleep after a made a check of the house to make sure there were no cigarettes left burning or stove/oven left on before he passed out. I was a wreck. I was in disbelief that my life had become what it was. I often lashed out at the people around me, including my children because I was so deeply unhappy. I could not see a way out. I figured I was doomed to live that way for the rest of my days.

I found recovery, a marvelous therapist, and took back my power over my life. A few years later, I discovered my passion--photography. I have been learning and practicing for almost three years now, and I still love it as much as the day I started. Actually, more, because I'm starting to get good at it!

I've posted my photographs here and gotten some very nice compliments. I dabbled in microstock and made some spare change. Finally, a few weeks ago, I decided to set up an online gallery to sell my images. I have several ideas about how to market my work, but it's been slow going with a full time job and two teenagers. So, I go at my own pace and do what I can.

Well, today I made my first sale! What a rush! A total stranger liked one of my photos enough to pay over $200 for a framed print. I'm blown away. I'm still a long way from being able to quit my day job, but I am so far from where I was in 2005 I almost cannot believe it.

I would post a link to my gallery, but since it's a for-profit website, that would be a violation of SR terms. If you are interested in looking, PM me and I will give you the link.

Life really does get better. It does.

L
Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an amazing post LaTeeDa. Good for you. You have every reason to be proud of your accomplishments!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Congratulations! How exciting for you!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cmc

Congrats on your first sale! Ka-ching! $$$$
Old 08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Awesome news on the first sale! Your work is well worth the money!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Awesome news on your first sale!

Your work is well worth the money.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I guess it turned out not to be so OT after all. I started to just tell about my gallery and first sale, but then I thought I should include some of the backstory for those who don't know me.

When I was working hard on recovery, I read some Joseph Campbell. His writing really spoke to me and a couple of his quotes come to mind now.

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls."
— Joseph Campbell

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
— Joseph Campbell

Thanks again and I truly hope everyone here finds their bliss.

L
Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You deserve it, missy!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
— Joseph Campbell

Thank-you for this.

Congratulations on your first sale.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OMG...wonderful news!!

These news made my night !!

Thank you for sharing your passion and inspiration LaTeeDa! I am so happy for you...... what a nice feeling. Yes, deep down we know what we truly enjoy don't we...

Your thread made me remember that quote "What we desire also desires us"... (can't remember the author)

This calls for a dancing banana

It feels like waking up from a bad dream doesn't it.. even just thinking about my interests puts me in a good mood. This is how life was meant to be enjoyed!!

Now excuse me as I got homework for my "digital photography" online course
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Congratulation on you first sale. Be proud of your accomplishments, and keep moving forward!!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your photos are beautiful, and I am not surprised strangers find them so, too. I am one of those people with a houseful of handmade items, from paintings and photos to stained glass and jewelry...there's something about people doing what they love that really appeals to me.

I am so excited for you! Congrats!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

YEAH!
That's awesome news - thanks so much for sharing that with us!
when I first read your post I thought you were describing my life before Nov 2008 because that's how i lived too!

So grateful to be Happy, Joyous and PINKfully free myself!

Good Luck on the business!!

PINK HUGS,
Rita