Hurricane Irene

Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hurricane Irene

Just wanted to say that I hope everyone in Irene's path is as prepared as possible and comes away with nothing but a memory. It's supposed to hit here late this afternoon. Just raining now.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

The rain is here, too. I used to have a massive garden outside on the balcony; now most of it is all over my living room. I know that means I brought it some spiders and other bugs, as well, but I'm not letting a hurricane hurt my flowers.

The cats are having a blast. They're growling in between the flowerboxes and popping up to tackle each other, like they're tigers in a jungle. It's adorable to watch.

The roses are weathering the storm outside - climbing roses are just too big to bring inside. I added more dirt to their boxes, though, in the hope the additional weight will help survive the wind, and they and their boxes are nicely taped to the balcony railings (electrical for the rose canes; duct for the boxes). The kittens and I are now settling in for some time spent cuddling inside, watching movies by candle light (or just cuddling by candle light, should the power go out).
Old 08-27-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it just started to rain heavy here and the wind is picking up...we have all utilities and the gardens will have to be OK....my giant pots with the Angel Trumpet trees are too big to drag inside.....i can just cut them back tomorrow if needed....all the furniture is stacked against the wall of the deck and the grill is inside.

the weatherman is wearing goggles as he reports from Virginia Beach...my cell phone is on the charger now and the cable is still on.

my cats are very excited too...they are playing in a big box i left out and the dog is chasing them...(little Pom dog)..I have lots of food, coffee and even dry firewood if needed.

Ive left the AC on a bit lower in case it goes out because it is very humid and warm here.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Yes.
A/C is on lower, fridge is on its lowest temperature setting and full of water (and ice in the freezer), bath tub is full of water, candles at strategic locations in case the power goes out...

The wind is picking up a little, but for the most part its been deceptively quiet, especially compared to the thunderstorms we had last week. The television keeps reminding everyone that this is just the beginning, and that even so already there have been seven fatalities.

The cats won't go near the windows, but that seems more related to the draft (since the temperature is colder than usual), because they're trying to find the best vantage points they can to watch outside. Other than that, they don't seem to care just yet.
Cream is keeping an eye on the weather report for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2079.jpg (85.8 KB, 15 views)