I am here.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm really being honest with myself I know I need to leave. I left briefly once before - I don't know why I went back. I think because I'm afraid. He has said he will make it ugly for me and I know how ugly he can make things. He is a bully. My friend says she is just waiting for the day I wake up and realize I am strong enough to take on this fight. I'm just not there yet.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know most people here are (maybe ex-)spouses/partners. I was an adult by the time my dad really began drinking heavily, but you might think of it this way: Not only do you teach people how to treat you, but you teach your children how adults treat each other too.

It's obvious you are concerned for their well-being. The crazy thing about alcoholism in a family is that none of the relationships get to be "normal." Not only is there an unhealthy dynamic between the alcoholic and other members of the family, there are also different dynamics between the non-alcoholic parent and the kids. In time you may start to feel that you are all functioning in a specific way that allows your husband to keep drinking (i.e. the kids don't stay home alone with dad because he's wasted) or that your husband becomes the bad guy and you become emotionally dependent on your children and they on you.

I am not trying to scare you by introducing more "what if"s. I would only encourage you to keep reaching out to others and to know how many are affected by the same feelings of shame and guilt that you have. Don't wait until it becomes unbearable to reach out.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR !
You have been given some good advice here - keep reading and keep coming back.
Take care of yourself and your little ones
Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR !
Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR !
Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

You are not making too much out of his drinking. It is making you and your children unhappy. Seriously, if the lifestyle evolves around drinking then there is a major problem with it. Do not buy into his manipulation and lies. He is truly sick with his addiction. I'm glad you are on this board and looking into Al-anon. Here and in Al-anon you will find guidance, support, and the tools to gain your voice back. Do not second guess your decision, and it will pay off in the end.

Keep posting!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Daughter333,

I very much appreciate your perspective. I worry constantly about what this is doing to my girls. I worry too what seperating would do to them. I try very hard to protect them from some of the uglier stuff. I know they have both seen and heard way more than they should. I know they feel the tension and see when I get upset and nervous. But I try to keep him from lashing out at them. I use every means I have to try to let them have something that looks as close to normal as I can. To the point I sometimes feel like I'm whoring myself out just to give my teenage daughter some freedom.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by retswerb View Post
Daughter333,

I very much appreciate your perspective. I worry constantly about what this is doing to my girls. I worry too what seperating would do to them.
I would suggest you hop over to the Adult Children of Alcoholics forum and read there to see the long-term effects on those who have been forced to grow up in an alcoholic home.

I exposed my oldest daughter to insanity for the first 8 years of her life, and it left indelible scars on her. I'm not proud of that, and it took me years to forgive myself.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

retswerb - I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. I agree w/ your friends; you are totally up for this fight! I stayed for all the same reasons w/ my friends asking me the same thing. I finally did leave. We are currently going through a divorce and it's painful but liberating at the same time. My sweet son, he's 10, said to me last week "mom, I just want to say thank you for breaking up. I still love him but I am so much happier!" I just melted. I don't think he will ever know how much that meant to me.

My point is, your kids will always love their dad. But, like Daugher333 pointed out, you can change the way they perceive relationships and people in the future by your decisions, no matter how scary they are. I know that my kids are going to grow up knowing respect, happiness, trust, faith, and most of all LOVE. This to me was worth all of the pain and terror of the last five months (when I first decided to file).
Old 09-05-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

retswerb...it's so easy to fall under their spell...like you, there was an A and blame shifting here. In the beginning I tried Al-Anon but I just wasn't cut out to handle recovery from an A and the Al-Anon meetings...course now I see the behaviors are all interrelated... today I struggle dealing with a recovering wife (reason I found SR)

Anyway...I just wanted to pass along a place and an approach that has helped me come to terms with the infidelities...dailystrength.org>infidelity>180Muc h like here you will find wonderful people...I find the SR is more helpful for dealing my AW while DS is really useful for dealing my CS

Hope you fnd a little peace today...