alone at last

Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alone at last

just a quick note..i have at last successfully separated from my alcoholic boyfriend.

it took me just about 2 to 3 years too long, but better late than never. :-)
i hope other people in the same situation (wanting to split up but are afraid to let go, hoping for better times etc.) find the courage to do as their intuition tells them.

i found the worst thing was the period of time between telling him and him actually leaving, which in my case was a very long period as different countries were involved.

there was everything from subtle threats to kill himself, to crying and begging, to screaming and shouting and getting abusive.
i had to really hold on to my sanity, i was so afraid of losing it.
but it's all done now, i am on my own now and the madness is finally over.

it feels so much better. no more dreading his drinking, sleepless nights, arguments, lying.

what helped me with my decision was some line from a film saying that if your relationship is a 2 or 3 now, you could be afraid of rolling the dice again and getting a 1. on the other hand there is a chance you might roll a 6.

so all i can say to anyone who is not happy in their relationship don't be afraid to re-roll the dice. :-)

all the best wishes to everyone who is still involved with an alcoholic, i wish you all the strength to do what your intuition tells you is the right thing, for you and your life.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Thank you for coming here to share your story.
I am glad that you were finally able to break free.

And how true about the dice!
One of the nice things, of course, is that if you do roll a one, you can still re-roll.