Attended my first Al-anong meeting tonight

Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attended my first Al-anong meeting tonight

Tonight I attended my first Al-anon meeting. The topic was "surrender." Having the self-control not to interfere or change your relational A. After reading the SR forums I decided to go to the next and nearby meeting. It was for parents who all have children my age, 23 years old, who are addicts.

I got a turn to speak and was really able to let a lot off my chest, relating to the stories I was listening to. I made a few contacts if I need support.

It was an amazing experience. Thank you for your suggestions guys!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!

I am in my mid-thirties (34) and feel so grateful to have started to get help about the age that you are.

Though I struggle at times I know that without the help and support established in my life how much harder it will be. I truly think recovery is a gift that we give to ourselves.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! It's a hard step to go to that first meeting -- at least that was the hardest one for me -- and I'm glad you had some good experiences!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You did well.

Your friend,
Old 08-16-2011, 02:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Attended my second meeting last night. The group I go to has a "beginners" meeting that breaks away from the larger group after the first 10, or so, minutes. It is suggested that we attend 6 of these beginners meetings before deciding to join the larger group as a member. Our leader last night suggested we pick a topic of interest (related to alanon tenants) to discuss. I think there were five newbies in the group. I asked if we could discuss detachment. It was agreed. Each of us spoke for a minute or two about what our idea of detachment is and how it applied to our situation/qualifier. It was very different to each one of us; even difficult to put into words. As our leader said in so many words: it's a simple concept, but it sure isn't easy.

I am so happy that I decided to go back for my second meeting (I had skipped a week between my first and second). Thanks to everyone here for emphasizing how important alanon is to our recovery.

Peace.

Maureen
Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you! This week is my 2-year anniversary in Al-Anon and it is a life-saver for me. Keep up the good work, and God bless you!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well Done.
The first meeting is always the hardest.
I have been going to al-anon for about 9 weeks now and I was so nervous going the first time, I got a friend to come with me.
It gets easier and It helps. ALOT !!! Keep going back
Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Way to go!