Broached the subject of divorce tonight

Old 08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broached the subject of divorce tonight

Hi everyone,

This is an an update following my request that my AH be out of the house by the time we returned from the beach. And he was!

I broached the subject of divorce tonight, after successfully getting AH to leave the house the other day. He did not take it well at all. He quacked at me plenty but I kept it as level a conversation as possible. I told him that yes, I do love you, but I simply can't go through anymore, that I need to give the kids a stable life. He said he would go to a lawyer tomorrow and serve me with papers, that I could have everything. When I took him up on it, he backed down, realizing his threat wasn't working the way he intended. He is realizing that I am quite far down the path of no return because I really stuck to the concept of not being able to go through anymore and because I'm just not wanting to go with him to counseling, etc. or hear his pleas about how he'll do anything it takes. I have been down that path before and because he's never able to stay sober, I see no reason to travel this path any further.

So now that I've let him know that I'm not seeking to get back together and am thinking about my options, I need to take the next step and figure out how best to proceed.

I felt rather spun around after I talked with him and felt much better after talking to his former AA sponsor (great guy with lots of sound guidance) and a gal pal of mine. It helps to get some immediate grounding from the 'real' world.

Best,
Wildgarden
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done. You left to up to him to serve you for divorce because he said he would. Now he has backed off so you can serve him with divorce papers. No need to wait on something he may never do.