Alcohol withdrawal?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Alcohol withdrawal?

So, as reported, my sister had been drinking again. This has been a very rough week. The way her car was parked was a terrifying exhibit of the situation.She has stopped since Wednesday, saw her today, she is very shaky, literally, her hands are shaking badly. So, my question is, after drinking relapse, how long does it take for the body to become addicted again?
I thought she was only on a bender for a week or so, but the fact that she appears to be having withdrawal symptoms makes me think it is longer. Does anyone know the physiology here?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes medical attention and supervision are needed to help in the transition, Withdrawl symtoms vary, nothing to be taken lightly. Wish her and you all the best.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawals can be very serious, if not deadly for some people. A medically supervised detox is the only thing I can recommend.

It doesn't make any difference how long her bender was. She is in withdrawals.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It is quite possible that she is having withdrawals after a week bender. A lot has to do with age, length of alcohol use and most importantly, past alcohol withdrawal. I'm a recovering alcoholic and after a 9month period of sobriety I went on a week long "bender" & had withdrawal. It was not the worst ever but I needed to see a doctor. IMO after a 10 year period of alcoholic drinking is when the withdrawal stuff gets bad. If she has a history with benzo type drugs for anxiety it will make the detox much harder. Those types of prescription drugs act in a very similar way as alcohol. Tell her to take a multi-vitamin and drink tons of gatorade/water. See a doctor also.