Admitting my pain, starting rehab

Old 07-26-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Admitting my pain, starting rehab

...rehab exercises for my knee issues, I mean.

So I was doing kickboxing and thought I hyperextended one knee during one kick.

I went to a doc and he gave me some medicines and told me to rest for a couple of weeks.

I come back from my holiday and go back to the gym, nothing out of the ordinary, but by night I was crying of pain.

Went to a new doc, my cartilagues are destroyed. She mentions no more high impact sports ever again. That I can only swim and do some yoga postures/Pilates. no more tennis nor salsa dancing either nor martial arts...

At least I can still box if everything goes well...

Today at Pilates I got all teary, I felt sad and almost cried because I couldn't do many of the exercises... and also because I was realizing how since I have been a kid I have always fell, fell, and it has always been an issue for me. I realized I don't want to take "the next step": forgiving my father, studying for an exam, saving for some art related courses, etc. I see self-boycott. I also see the worst knee is the right one (the father) and am going through a tough lesson about emotions translating to my body. I also see how my hate, anger, sadness and resentment got me stuck, with this incredible apathy regarding socializing with the opposite sex. MY heart is closed.

My mom is coming on Thursday and I feel glad I'll have her close although I also feel the extra responsibility. But I will try not to be a codependent. (Good luck with that)

I believe this problems in both knees are also signs of how I feel unsupported by my parents

My knees started hurting again (because it gets colder at night) and I have been crying and crying.

The good news is that I started hydrotherapy and it helps with the pain.

My morale is very low but today I saw some peers at the gym and they made me useful recommendations and shared hope.

Even driving and changing gears hurts.

Glad I got therapy on Friday.

for letting me vent.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi TakingCharge, I can relate to the self-boycott. I have issues from my childhood as well and it has caused many demons for me including heavy drinking. I also had a hard time forgiving those who hurt me...something I am working hard on. I am sorry to hear about your knees and will be thinking of you and hoping for the best.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too injured my knee kickboxing and have had to change the type of excercise I can do.

It has taken time, but, I am no longer experience the pain I once did.

My emotional healing took a bit longer. I was reading Louise Hay's book, "You Can Heal Your Life", when I looked up knee problems the probable cause was "Represents pride and ego. Stubborn ego and pride. Inability to bend. Fear. Inflexibilty. Won't give in."

The affirmation or new thought pattern she suggested was:

"I am flexible and flowing. Forgiveness. Understanding. Compassion. I bend and flow with ease, and all is well."

This helped me...I hope it helps you.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Count me in on the injured knee list too!! I hurt my knee doing the KenpoX and PlyoX workouts from P90x last fall. I stopped doing those - switched to running (still hurt), switched to yoga (still hurt)... switched to biking this spring (still hurt!). Drastically cut back all exercise... still HURT!!! Finally got off my butt a week ago and went to the ortho doc... patella tendonitis, at least. Boo. He said it won't get better on it's own... gotta do physical therapy. Gotta put in the hard work (just like al-anon).

ANewAugust... I like that daily affirmation... I often underestimate the power of positive thinking. So many of our problems are in our minds!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aaaawwwaaa TC, I'm so sorry you're in pain. (((((TC)))))

I gave up martial arts years ago, and running, and... today I swim sometimes, and walk with my dogs 3x/day. It's not enough, but it's good for all of us.

Fascinating the way you connected your knee issues with the support of your mom and dad. WOW what an amazing way of looking at it. I'm trying to think how my back problems might tie into my emotional life.

I hope you find healing and a wonderful, new form of exercise!

Hugs,
Tigg
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TC, sending hugs. I hated being laid up when I hurt my knee (years ago). Walking around hurt and sitting still was Boring.

Wish I could also send some one to cater to your every whim: cup of tea, miss? another pillow to prop your leg on? A new book?

Take it easy, rest and heal.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Perhaps swimming would help? Non-impact and still great exercise.....
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Dear SR friends,
Thank you for all your posts. I feel supported and understood.

I got so much to share with you in regards to this health issue...

For now let me just say,

After 8 rehab sessions-

I am grateful I am able to walk.
I am grateful I donīt need help to take a bath.
I am grateful I got a car and can drive.
I am grateful I donīt have a mental issue.
I am grateful I can pay for therapy.
I am grateful eventhough I still got 12 more sessions to go to. (Afterwards I will need to start swimming indefinitely)
I am grateful for good doctors that make you laugh and treat you with care and understanding.
I am grateful for alternative therapies.
I am grateful my job does not depend on my mobility or physical skills.
I am grateful I can work from home.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Besides, unfortunately, manual gear stresses my knee too much.
This might be a Signal from Above that it is time to get my Mazda (autostick gear).
Driving wonīt be as fun, but I will look good in my car
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

PS I am broke but one can dream!!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I am going to make a suggestion.

First let me say I am 66, I suffer from Osteoarthritis in my lower back and HORRIBLY IN MY KNEES.

Find an orthopedic surgeon and discuss this:

Treating Knee Osteoarthritis With Hyaluronan Injections

There are different types that work for various lengths of time. I started out the first 2 times it was monthly then I went to every two months and now it's almost every 4 months.

No I no longer play tennis, however, I do swim a lot, I walk at least 2 miles every morning while it is still cool, lol and I can NOW RIDE HORSES AGAIN and drive my one vehicle that has 'stick' shift (manual) transmission.

It is something you might want to check into. I just wish I had done it YEARS AGO, lol

I have a great 'up on everything' orthopedic surgeon who believes "that knee replacements or any joint replacements are a LAST RESORT." When they are given correctly there is no more pain than a flu shot and the RELIEF is almost INSTANTANEOUS!

So please do not give up just yet, there are treatments that do work. That web site above will give you more websites to check out or various treatments to 'google' to get the information you want to print out to take to your doctor.

Hope that helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

laurie thank you very much for your input,

My kickboxing teacher told me she has a friend, who gets injections on the knee, I am thinking it might be the same therapy. Said friend is also a gym instructor and according to my teacher is training and giving classes as usual and he is OK!! Will ask her for the doctorīs number.

How much were those injections worth for you? My teacher told me the injections were $100 USD each but today my knees are hurting a great deal, I might need to see if according to my diagnoses this could also work for me... hopefully it does....

I am glad you are able to keep an active lifestyle and that you feel better.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I destroyed my knees with competitive raquetball a long time ago and sadly had to give up the sport for good. I stick with low impact exercise and rarely if ever experience pain or swelling anymore. Doctors wanted surgery 2 decades ago and I am glad I didn't take their advice...someday I may need surgery but not right now.

It will get better but it does take time for it to heal.

To all young people out there: take care of your bodies especially your knees and your spine... when you are older you will be so glad you did!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Why doesnīt anyone tell you about this when you are out there jumping around?? Met too many people already with chronic knee issues due to running, spinning, etc...

Anyway, after crying many hours due to the pain (530 AM) I decided NOT to be a victim and will probably take a cab and do some moves in a friendīs pool... as they donīt open the rehab center tomorrow....

Same as addiction/codependency recovery huh?? one or two days without recovery work and you are in a place of pain again. *Sigh*
Old 08-14-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am thinking..

What has truly helped me with pain and helped me relax, has been thermal waters...

I might ask someone to take me there tomorrow...

Thanks for letting me find solutions... otherwise, I would spend Sunday in bed complaining.. when I can do things to feel better....
Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

TC, I can really relate to this. I had to give up my beloved jiu jitzu due to knee pain. I switched to boxing and so far I love it. I wear a brace on each knee for support and if something hurts I won't do it. Trying to come up with a replacement for jumping rope as that is about the only thing in the boxing class that really bothers my knees.

Recovery work is a lot like exercise, you have to do a little each day and for me it seems I end up running an recovery marathon every now and then whether I want to or not.

Your friend and fellow member of the screwed up knee club,
Old 10-06-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

UPDATE:

Yesterday I was able to stretch one leg without pain. YAY!!!!!

I can feel my legs are stronger now.

At this point (starting 3rd round of rehab) I have made some friends, I am definitely more grateful for what I do have ..

And I am grateful for the humane therapists that treat me with care and empathy.

I have gone to hot springs more often as they leave my knees feeling like new, I get to relax in a natural atmosphere...

I write today because when I started a man with neurological issues was there, he needed a lot of help...

Today I saw him walking by himself. I was so proud.

I still do Pilates and kickboxing but with lots of modifications. Now I am the teacher's example for low impact or beginners LOL.

I am far from recovered but I no longer experience the pain I used to have and that for me is enough to feel happy and healthy...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Here are two articles you really need to check out:

Stem Cell Treatment May Help Ease Osteoarthritis Pain, Offer Alternative to Knee Replacement - ABC News

By Stimulating Stem Cells, Bioactive Nanogel Regenerates Cartilage in Joints | Popular Science

My ortho surgeon is checking it out and is seeing if he can do it on me, as part of the 'trials' going on at Northwestern now.

I have no cartilage left, and my ortho Dr has already told me he has heard and read about this and would just LOVE to try it me as I make a 'great guinea pic', his words not mine, roflmao

I'm more than up for it. If there is chance that I can 'grow' new cartilage and not be bone on bone in my knees, I say:

BRING IT ON. lmao

So hopefully you might be able to discuss this with your Dr and see if it might be something for you to try also. I believe as you are only 30 you would grow the cartilage back and lot quicker than I will.

Sending prayers ...........................

Love and hugs,
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Babe, don't give up. Rehab is crucial but you may not be totally done with the rest of life's fun exercise either. Strengthening your muscles can really work wonders.

I was told by an orthopedic surgeon that I was done running and that thebest thing I could do was get a good roadbike and become friends with it. I found a great physical therapist and I have done four triathlons since. there is always hope!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey TC, I have shredded almost every joint in my body, rodeo, motorcycles, car accidents, etc.) I just got a TENS unit, they are about 30-40 usd on ebay, amazing difference, after a treatment I might go 3 days without pain (versus 3 hours otherwise), you can wear it while you work out.

Keep up the good work and the search for positives, best of luck.

Bill