Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

July 23 and 22 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 07-23-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

July 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

When my spirit is in turmoil and my troubled thoughts race round and round, and I try to REASON MYSELF out of this frame of mind, it may be well to STOP REASONING and hold fast to a single idea that speaks of quiet and serenity. Once such is: KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Probably there is nothing I can do now – this minute, this hour, today – to so...lve the problem that is gnawing at my peace of mind. Then to what purpose do I torment myself?

I will stop trying to figure out ways and means. I will not rehash, over and over, thoughts so bitter that they can make me fell physically ill. I will empty my mind of all this perplexity and hold to just one simple thought wile I wait for God’s guidance.

TODAY’S REMINDER

The things that trouble me are often too complex to yield to human reasoning. Indeed their only reality may be in my confused thoughts. When I reach such an impasse and I remind myself to KEEP IT SIMPLE, I will find myself being restored to composure.

“Under the shadow of Thy wing shall be my refuge until this tyranny be overpast.” (Book of Common Prayer)

July 22 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

An Al-Anon member may devote a lot of time to reading scientific books on alcoholism because she imagines it will make her better able to cope with “the problem.” Unless we intend to become professionals in the field, nothing is to be gained by an in-depth study of the disease.

Nor does it help to explore the reasons for the alcoholic’s behavior; certainly not while our own conduct shows we are not entirely rational. So, again, all change must begin with US.

The search should be for OUR OWN serenity; which will prove to have remarkable power to inspire others in the home.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Do I read up on alcoholism because I still hope I can find a way to make my spouse stop drinking? Do I blame all the family’s adversities on the alcoholic, sober or not? Have I the courage to face my own mistakes and character flaws? Do I justify my resentment and rationalize my self-pity?

“How much trouble he avoids who does not look to see what others say or do, but only what he does himself, that it may be just and pure” (Marcus Aurelius: MEDITATIONS)