Thank you everyone at SR and Al-Anon

Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone at SR and Al-Anon

I want to say thank you to everyone for saving my life.

I posted this in another thread

You may want to consider attending some al-anon meetings. It is a great place where you can begin working on you. I know from my experiences of dealing with my AW how much damage was done to me and I didn't realize it until everything finally fell apart. This site and al-anon have been life savers, literally.
when it hit me in the gut how true it was.

I wasn't telling anyone but i had reached the point where I saw death as the only way to end the pain. I wasn't talking to anyone about it, no theatrics and I wasn't looking for help. I had accepted that death was my only answer.

Luckily I had not gone beyond acceptance when I found SR, which lead me to Al-Anon. My new families have given me the love and courage to see that there was another way out of this.

So a big thank you to all my brothers and sisters for helping me to get to the point where not only is life worth living it is worth enjoying.

Your friend,
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Mike,

Your "brothers and sisters and friends" here get right away that death wish thing.

I for one, after exposure to addiction and its ravages, experienced pain in realms I had no idea existed, the type of pain that makes you just want to die, as it would feel better to die than to stay in that pain, so I get that.

Glad you're on the path to recovery, and doing better!

CLMI
Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Skipper

Aw, M1k3,

There are greater things in store for you. I just know it.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope this is being taken as a good post.

Redemption and hope.

I have come such a huge distance from where I was.
The acceptance of how low I had gotten was emotional but in a cleansing way. I really enjoy life again and look forward to moving even farther along in my recovery.

I really wanted to share with people new to recovery that it does get better and that there is hope for a better tomorrow.

Your friend,
Old 07-22-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You for your honesty Mike.
I must admit that since leaving my husband there has been so much intense pain and hurt that I began to think there was only one way to stop it.
I feel ashamed and weak when I get to that place. That is NOT the legacy I would want to leave to my children and all my friends who have supported me.
Besides I am so stubborn when it comes to my AH that I am not NOT going to let him rob me of the wonderful life I have waiting for me.
"A life well lived is the best revenge"
I know that is not the healthiest attitude but hey- whatever gets you through the night
right?
Al ANon and SR have helped me through my darkest times as well. It is hard to explain that to someone who has not gone through the program.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mike,
You are so right. It does get better not over night, but one day you take a look at yourself and see how far you have come. I just know I never want to go back to the place I was at before. Keep going down the path you are on it seems to be the right one for you.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The single most wonderful thing I heard when I went to my first AA meeting was, "You NEVER have to feel this way again."

And it's true in Al-Anon, too. You never again have to feel all alone, you never again have to feel hopeless. Not that everything comes up roses and lollipops all the time--there is still lots of painful work to do on the road to recovery. But it's a "good" pain, like what you get after a hard workout. Even the hard, icky stuff looks less like a life sentence, and more like challenges to be met.

Thanks for this hopeful post.