Need advice with alcoholic/addict boyfriend!!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice with alcoholic/addict boyfriend!!

So I am an alcoholic. It has never effected my life. I started using at age 14. I am now 38 and smoke pot and drink daily. I have had years of being sober, I guess u can say I fell off the wagon.
My ? is..... My Boyfriend is also an alcoholic/ addict. He uses the same substances I do. He is a bit more deep in his disease. He's 36 and been using since age 13. He has only had 3 months of sobriety since. We have been living together for 8 months. He is either up or down. by that I mean really grumpy or really happy, whether he's using or not. He uses about 12+ hours a day. Is this normal for an addict alcoholic??? I guess I think of myself and I am happy most the time.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zonkerdoola View Post
Is this normal for an addict alcoholic???
First of all, congratulations on being the first alcoholic I have ever exchanged with who's addiction has never affected their life. You are very lucky.

Second, there is no "normal" for an addict, in my experience. There are certain things that are 'regular' in some of the behavior, such as lying, denial, and certain types of abuse on others, but none of the things that addicts do would constitute me using the term "normal".

I am unclear what kind of advice you are looking for. Try not to worry so much about what he is doing, and focus on what you need to do to be happy in your life. Are the ups and downs something you want to live with?