Alcoholism Won

Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((lindzali))

thoughts & prayers of peace and comfort for you and for all the other friends & family of Tom!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hugs, Lindzali, and prayers for you and Tom's family. Please, remember to be gentle with yourself through this.
Wishing you peace and continued strength.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In regard to the song on the radio giving you comfort, I don't know what that actually is, it could just be your mind accepting the reality, that you are coming to terms with the fact that he is gone, or is it a gift from the other side saying all is well. Personally I choose to believe the latter, and he is telling you he is in a far better place now.

Reading your story, broke my heart. I recently separated with someone who I fear is so very close to liver failure, kidney failure, a stroke, or some other life threatening ailment. Makes me realize what a priceless gift life truly is. Take care of You
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I remember that a week after my mom died, I was in traffic behind a car whose license plate read "PEARL". That was my mom's name.

I took it as a sign that everything was A-OK.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lindzali,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss. Sending you strength to get through this!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dear Linzali, I just lost my husband of 20 years to this disease, he died in June. I was powerless to help him too. sometimes this disease wins, my michael was 56 years old. I am so sorry for your loss, I am sorry this disease took yet another person and that you are devasted. I really do feel the same way, I share your pain. I am sorry again. keep the faith, know there was nothing you could have done to save him, they have to want it very badly.

mavis
Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all your words of encouragement. I went to the funeral on Tuesday and I can't even begin to describe how glad I am that I went. I walked in, sat in the back, felt out of place for a while because it was a very formal Catholic funeral service and I felt like everyone knew when to stand up, sit down, kneel, what phrases to say in unison, etc...but then at the end I saw his dad, brother, sister and her husband. They immediately all gave me the biggest hugs. It was such a feeling of relief to hug his dad and tell him how much I truly did love his son. I've carried around a lot of guilt over the past couple years...I kicked my ex out of the apartment. In moments of pure frustration in trying to talk to him while he was insanely drunk but slurring that he wasn't I told him I hated him. I think I assumed that one day (I imagined it being years and years from now) I would run into my ex, he would have FINALLY 'got it' and got his life back on track and I would have the opportunity to ...well...'apologize' isn't really the word b/c I did what I HAD to do...maybe explain to him where I was coming from...and have him tell me that he understood. Now I can never do that...I wonder if he left this world thinking that I thought he was scum of a human being. That hurts.

Anyway, after the funeral service, I went with his family to lunch. I can't describe the vibe, but being there with them felt...so peaceful. It was essentially therapy for me I think. It was also really refreshing that everyone (some of his extended family was there too) knew the situation and spoke candidly about it. It didn't feel 'fake'. I talked privately with his brother about how the last time I talked to him he was drunk and I told him I was going to block his number, and did. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he reassured me that I had done all I could and not to feel guilty. He said that my ex's condition had definitely worsened...apparently he was '10 times worse' than what he was when he was living with me. Yikes. I guess that makes me realize there really was nothing anyone could do. It's just so tragic...how delicate life and the human spirit can be sometimes. Sometimes I try to put myself in his shoes. He lost his mom, someone he was really close to and his world fell apart. I have a twin sister, she's my other half...she's the one person I can tell ANYTHING to, the one person that I can confide in, that can pull me up when I'm in my deepest darkest hole...if something were to happen to her I'm not sure how I would deal...or if I could. Maybe my ex was going through something like that...and if that's the case, wow, I'm really glad he's at peace.

Phew. Thank you all so much again for your sympathy and understanding. There are just so many conflicting emotions swirling in my head right now. Alcoholism (whether genetic or not) sucks. Plain and simple. I hate it. I saw it mercilessly steam-roll my ex, someone I loved, someone I thought I was going to marry and have a future with. I think the worst thing about it is that only the victim (not sure if that's the right word) can save himself/herself...but by the time the final stages have set in, the victim's spirit and mind has been crippled...making it even harder for him/her to save himself/herself.

I know so many reading this are also struggling w/ losses and pain. My heart goes out to all of you...I hope from my experience with all of this I can offer my support to all of you when it is needed.

Love,

Lindsay
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That is tragic. I'm glad you were able to go to the funeral and get some peace. I fear that I, too, will find out one day that my ex has died as a result of his alcoholism. May you continue to heal from your losses.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

Lindsay - I remember when you first started posting about this. I am so sorry for your loss and that it ended like this. Alcoholism is a horrible disease that claims WAY too many lives...literally and figuratively speaking. And not just of the As, but those of us who love them. My thoughts are with you.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lindzali - So, so sorry. I worried about something like that happening to my XAB when I blocked him. Praying for comfort and guidence for you right now. You're an inspiration. Hang in there girl.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear that. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear that you went and were able to get some closure. It really is a horrible disease that affects so many people. (hugs)
Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

(((Lindsay))) - I'm glad you went to the funeral and were welcomed with open arms by his family.

After my XABF died, I realized the last I'd heard from him was when he was in jail, and I'd told him "do not ask me for money, again, I'm not going to give you any" and I never heard from him again.

However, I "talk" to him and I've had some really good days in recovery. I'll "tell him" that I'm going to tuck him into my heart, so he can feel how good recovery is. I truly believe he's watching over me, and he is finally at peace.

It took time for me to get to that point as grief has it's own timetable. Take your time, sweetie, stick to the people who "get it" and ignore those that say "just get over it", as they don't understand.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy