July 11 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 07-11-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

July 11 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

July 11 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

“What if…” How often we hear these words from those who live with an alcoholic problem. Only two little words, but they’re heavy with dread, fear and anxiety.

“What if he doesn’t come home?” – “What if she doesn’t take care of the children while I’m at work?” – “What if he spends all his pay on liquor?” – What if…anything our desperate imaginings can project.

Granted these things can happen, but when they don’t, we have put ourselves through needless suffering and made ourselves even less prepared to deal with them if they should come.

TODAY’S REMINDER

In Al-Anon, the answer to “What if…” is “Don’t project! Don’t imagine the worst; deal with your problems as they arise. Live one day at a time.”

I cannot do anything about things that haven’t happened; I will not let past experiences make me dread the unknown future.

“It is a vain and unprofitable thing to conceive either grief or joy for future things which perhaps will never come about.”
Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

Said long ago by me to a friend who was afraid to tell me something, "You
might as well tell me, because now that I know there is something, my imagination will probably come up with something worse than what you aren't sure you should tell me."