Blogs

Notices

My furry little baby!

Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My furry little baby!

Hey SR fam,

Wanted to share my deep sadness with you all concerning the loss of my dog and best friend, Brownie. He has been struggling with seizures since March 2010, but they had only happened sporadically up until a couple days ago. On Thursday is when he started having continuous seizures and the vet was only able to stop them after too much brain damage had been done. He is an old dog (13 years old!), so recovery was not really happening for him.

I've been crying. I've learned from here and Al-Anon that the best way to deal is let the emotion wash over you and feel it thoroughly, followed by moving on when we feel appropriate. Right now I feel somewhat at peace. I think I'm all cried out for the time being but the house and life in general feel very empty without my little baby.

I have to say that it was all very peaceful though. He seemed very at rest. I looked into his eyes and felt like he was giving me approval that it was his time to go. He is a pretty old doggy especially for his size (german shepard mix!), and I know that I spoiled and cared for my little baby more than anything

Interestingly the place he was being hospitalized and eventually put to sleep is the SAME hospital from which we had adopted him 13 years ago. It's crazy to think that that time went by in the blink of an eye and to see how life seems to come back around in a circle.

Life is short, hope you all are remembering that and seizing each day to be happy!

(PS here's a picture of my little cutie pie! To this day I am such a proud mommy that i still refer to him as the cutest pup i EVER laid my eyes on!)
IMG_0023.jpg
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bruingirl For This Useful Post:
anvilhead (07-13-2011), catlovermi (07-13-2011), chicory (07-10-2011), Impurrfect (07-10-2011), Linkmeister (07-13-2011), m1k3 (07-13-2011), Opivotal (07-10-2011), Pelican (07-10-2011), raininginoregon (07-10-2011), RollTide (07-10-2011), sojourner (07-10-2011), StarCat (07-11-2011), TeM (07-13-2011), theuncertainty (07-11-2011), Thumper (07-13-2011), Tuffgirl (07-10-2011), wicked (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He looks very sweet. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like he had an awesome time for his stay with such a loving mommy
The Following User Says Thank You to strengthtobeone For This Useful Post:
Impurrfect (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

(((Bruingirl))) - I'm so sorry for your loss of (((Brownie))) - what a beautiful dog!

My furbabies are family, and any time I've lost one in the past, I went through quite a period of grief.

I'm glad you had a wonderful 13 years together, and that he went peacefully, with his loving mama at his side.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-10-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss. I have an 11 year old jack russell and he is the best. I could not imagine life without him.
The Following User Says Thank You to JACKRUSSELLGIRL For This Useful Post:
Impurrfect (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am so sorry. Be comforted with the thought that he now has his wings, and is watching over you from afar. He is now your little angel!

Hugs,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dollydo For This Useful Post:
Impurrfect (07-10-2011), Linkmeister (07-13-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((HUGS)))) I am so sorry you've lost your best friend. God, it hurts! Looks like your baby had some Golden in him, too! My Golden had seizures just like you describe toward the end of her life and got closer and closer together -- it's so heartbreaking. But OH! He is at peace now and having a blast in the meadow by the Rainbow Bridge just waiting for the day when you show up at last!!!

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tjp613 For This Useful Post:
dollydo (07-10-2011), Impurrfect (07-10-2011), Linkmeister (07-13-2011), luvmyfurbabies (07-10-2011), raininginoregon (07-10-2011), theuncertainty (07-11-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm so sorry for your loss, bruin.

He looks like a real sweety.

Hugs,
The Following User Says Thank You to LexieCat For This Useful Post:
Impurrfect (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I am so sorry for your loss, hon. I've said goodbye to several furry friends over the decades.

It's obvious Brownie was very loved and spoiled. May God hold your aching heart in his hands.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The heartache you feel now is a reflection of the love you showed him throughout his lifetime believe me. My heart goes out to you. Be gentle with yourself.

The same time draws closer for me and my old girl and I remind myself each day to put the sad aside and enjoy her here and now.

I also console myself in the thought that while it seems her nearly 12 years have flown by, when I follow her and we meet again, which I believe we will, the passing time will seem like the blink of an eye for both of us.

Much love,
Alice
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

(((Bruingirl)))))

I am sorry for your loss.

You were blessed to have each other.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so sorry for the loss of your "Brownie". He must have been a beautiful friend and companion. He's running free now, happy and healthy. His footprints will forever be in your heart. Thank you for sharing Brownies beautiful picture. Please accept my sincere condolences for his passing.

Big Hugs To You!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bruingirl, so sorry for your loss. Prayers to you today.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bruingirl View Post
Hey SR fam,

Wanted to share my deep sadness with you all concerning the loss of my dog and best friend, Brownie. He has been struggling with seizures since March 2010, but they had only happened sporadically up until a couple days ago. On Thursday is when he started having continuous seizures and the vet was only able to stop them after too much brain damage had been done. He is an old dog (13 years old!), so recovery was not really happening for him.

I've been crying. I've learned from here and Al-Anon that the best way to deal is let the emotion wash over you and feel it thoroughly, followed by moving on when we feel appropriate. Right now I feel somewhat at peace. I think I'm all cried out for the time being but the house and life in general feel very empty without my little baby.

I have to say that it was all very peaceful though. He seemed very at rest. I looked into his eyes and felt like he was giving me approval that it was his time to go. He is a pretty old doggy especially for his size (german shepard mix!), and I know that I spoiled and cared for my little baby more than anything

Interestingly the place he was being hospitalized and eventually put to sleep is the SAME hospital from which we had adopted him 13 years ago. It's crazy to think that that time went by in the blink of an eye and to see how life seems to come back around in a circle.

Life is short, hope you all are remembering that and seizing each day to be happy!

(PS here's a picture of my little cutie pie! To this day I am such a proud mommy that i still refer to him as the cutest pup i EVER laid my eyes on!)
Attachment 16200
Bruin,
i'm so sorry about your boy. He is beautiful. You can be comforted by the fact that you made Brownie's life very very happy on earth. and were there for him when he needed it the most. I wish all furry ones were so blessed.

Rest well Brownie. You have been greatly loved.

My sincere sympathy for your heartache,
chicory
Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sending hugs. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody, I appreciate the support very much

On a sort of related note, I just picked up a really good book if anyone is looking for a good read. It is told through the perspective of a dog, and it is really touching (especially given my recent loss of Brownie). It's called The Art of Racing in the Rain
Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bruin, your initial post made me tear up. I'm so sorry about Brownie. It's hard to lose a pet, especially when your pet is a family member. My heart goes out to you.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Brownie's up in the Big Dog Park in the sky, probably romping and playing with 4 of mine. He's thinking he's so glad his headache is completely better, and he doesn't feel stiff at all any more!

Maybe someday you will want to rescue one of his brethren and tell them how you saved them in his honor, and tell them stories about Brownie...

I'm sorry for your heartache, I know as I've been there four times.

CLMI
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Brownie is across the bridge playing with my girl-I lost her three years ago and still miss her. My heart goes out to you, bruingirl-losing a furry family member is a big heartache, one which many of us here at SR have had to endure.

Losing my girl brought someone else into my life-I swear she had a hand it it and today, I share my life (and my bed) with 60 pounds of unconditional, slobbering love.

Both my boy and I send you big hugs and lots of love.
XOXOXOXOXOXOXXO
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you could come here and there were those who'd share it with you.

It's been three years since I lost Beloved (manx)
and am only now considering another manx.

Give it the time it needs.

Blessings