My Story

Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story

it is time to tell it.....
much appreciate all of the support I have felt her, and the feeling of being less alone in my sorrow. Special thanks to sisters5 for the PM -- could not respond because I did not have 5 posts (?), but you comforted me.

So, I am one of 4 sisters, the baby in the family, and the next oldest sister is an alcoholic -- has been in a day treatment program for 2 months, but I am certain she is still drinking.

It has been a dreadful fall for her. She was successful and brilliant, got an early retirement offer 11 years ago, she is now 56. she has plenty of time to do nothing but drink. 2 years ago, she lived out of state, and (another sister and her adult daughter) sensed things were deteriorating in her marriage, she came back to NY and remains here. Divorced husband number 3, now lives here solo.

her drinking has destroyed her appearance and her relationships. I love her desperately, but cannot sit by and watch my beloved P ruin herself I am angry and hurt, and I know her daughter is too.

I went to the family sessions in her treatment program, they were a good start, have been reading al anon literature, love the support from Sober Recovery. My work schedule makes meetings tricky for me, but I am doing my best to get to at least one al anon meeting a week.

I miss my beautiful sister, and am really just waiting for the next crisis, knowing it will come.

Thank you all for being so supportive and candid. I did think I was the only sister out there...........
Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Susiequeue, welcome to SR! I can tell that you love your sister very much. Attending family sessions at her treatment was a very loving gesture.

Kudos to you for reading Alanon literature and attending meetings! Alanon has saved my bacon more than once! I have a 33-year-old daughter active in addictions. I don't have any sisters, but I have one brother who has been clean/sober for many years now.

If you haven't read the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie, I'd suggest giving it a whirl. It's helped me in many areas of my life.

Weekends tend to be slow around SR, but I know others will be along at some point to welcome you with open arms.

I hope you continue to post, and know you are among friends!