July 9 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 07-09-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

July 9 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

July 9 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

What kind of stuff is self-pity made of, that it can entrench itself in my mind and keep me miserable? It may be envy of those who have more of the material things – better house, a finer car. It could be any resentment of monotony, not having enough relief from the daily grind. It may be because I am critical of others: “Why can’t he do it my way; why did she say or do this or that?” Or bitterness because we’re lonely if the spouse has merely switched from nightly sessions at a bar to nightly AA meetings.

Self-pity comes from concentrating on the negative aspects of life.

I will find ways to make my life more interesting, take a fresh view of the pleasant things that happen each day. I will work toward a more mature attitude – and settle for a little less than my romantic dreams make me think I ought to have.

TODAY’S REMINDER

An Al-Anon meeting is a great place to observe how various people react to their circumstances. Those who have the most to be grateful for often grumble and complain. Others, living desperate and even tragic lives, somehow keep cheerful and manage to get some joy out of what little they do have.

“To expect life to be tailored to our specifications is to invite frustration.”