July 6 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

July 6 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

July 6 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

The change from active alcoholism to sobriety makes a great upheaval in our lives. It is a challenge to both partners. Making this difficult adjustment requires entirely new thinking patterns.

In the years of active drinking, the husbands of compulsive drinkers had to take on many extra responsibilities. Along with earning a living for the family, they had to provide for the care of the children, take care of the home and get the meals. Wives of compulsive drinkers often had to work to supplement the skimpy budget or do without many necessities, as well as doing the man’s chores around the house.

With sobriety, many of these roles must be reversed: many habits unlearned. The Al-Anon program, applied each day, will help us make the adjustments to a normal way of life.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will learn not to expect too much too soon, and above all, not to expect that sobriety will transform my spouse into a super-perfect human being, tailored to my specifications.

Al-Anon will help to restore me to a sane and reasonable way of thinking so I can deal with my family relationships with love and understanding.

“No great improvements are possible in the lot of mankind until a change takes place in their modes of thought.”