father went into the hospital tonight

Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tka

father went into the hospital tonight

well, my dad was complaining about not feeling good and chest pains so my mom called 911 for him. The ambulance came and now he's in the hospital.

We did this a few weeks ago hoping that they'd "force" him to stay there and get sober (I know, you can't force them) and he said they didn't give him anything for withdrawal and no nicotine patches so he checked himself out 2 days later because he wanted cigarettes. The hospital didn't call him a cab home or even give him a $1 so he could take the bus home, he walked back 5 miles in 95 degree weather.

I think he wanted to go this time, so hopefully he stays there longer. We don't have insurance so I don't know if that's playing a part in the treatment he's getting there (with them not giving him anything like a nicotine patch atleast, and letting him just check out when he's not well, because the drinking is effecting his health).... Anyway, here's to hoping for a miracle that he'll get some help this time.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I'm sorry to hear your father is at the hospital.

(((Hugs)))

He is with people that can evaluate his needs and offer assistance.

Take care of you too at this time
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Try a different hospital next time. Often times the alcoholic is treated horribly by the hospital staff. It is terrible and dangerous that he wasn't given anything for the withdrawal. He could of had a alcohol seizure.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi tka,

I agree that he is in the hands of people trained to help him. I hope that he will reach out for the help he needs.

Hugs, HG
Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you tka, I can relate to the worry you and your mom must be feeling. It is very difficult to see the medical effects that drinking does to the ones we love.

I have done some research into how hospitals treat alcohol withdrawal syndrome and unfortunately, treatment guidelines can be all over the map. Different hospitals have different procedures and it is not uncommon for the patient to be either over or under treated for withdrawal.

Some hospitals have developed a more efficient and productive method by using a "stratification" or risk assessment with a patient that is admitted to the facility. This assessment procedure determines the level of withdrawal risk and basis it's treatment on that find.

Those with high risk for complicated alcohol withdrawal with agitated delirium need to be treated differently that those with moderate or mild withdrawal symptoms. Those with acute agitated delirium need much more attention to other health conditions such as the liver, heart, high blood pressure and seizures.

See if you can get some information from the doctors or staff caring for your father, ask about what guidelines they use to assess his risk level. Maybe, if the hospital is not set up to manage withdrawal management, they can refer your family to another facility that does.

My prayers to you and your mom that you be given peace and strength during this time. ((Hugs))
Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tka

He checked himself out again and walked all the ways back home again last night. He said they said he has high blood pressure and needs to take medications for that.

I guess they can't force him to stay. Although it's obvious he's almost going anorexic from choosing alcohol and cigarettes over food. I don't really understand how come unless someone is an immediate threat to themselves or others they can't keep someone there.

Thanks for the replies and support.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I'm sorry that he has chosen to self-medicate with alcohol.

Alcohol is more readily absorbed by the cells than whole foods. It doesn't matter if he is eatting the healthiest diet in the world, as long as he is drinking - his body will absorb the alcohol calories first.

Sending you support and (((hugs))) as this is painful to witness.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tka,
couldn't they call you when they release him? so you could pick him up? i agree with trying another hospital. were they trying to treat him, and still he checked his self out?
prayers that he gets help for his self.

chicory
Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

tka,

As long as your father is considered a "competent adult", he can not be forced to receive medical treatment. He has the legal right to choose how and when he receives treatment.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((TKA))) - I'm sorry your father is refusing medical help. (((Pelican))) is right...a competent adult can refuse medical treatment. I was an ER/ICU nurse, for years (before my own addiction ended that career) and they can sign a paper that they are leaving "against medical advice, or AMA" and leave.

Most hospitals are strapped for money, drowning in "indigent care"..those of us who don't have insurance or money to pay the bills, and it's really not their responsibility to get him home. I'm sure they would have let him call someone to come get him.

He's doing what he wants to do, and as hard as it is to stand by and watch, we really can't change that. I know I basically smoked (crack was my DOC) through a broken cheek bone, broken collar bone, and staph infection, among other things.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
tka

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
tka,
couldn't they call you when they release him? so you could pick him up? i agree with trying another hospital. were they trying to treat him, and still he checked his self out?
prayers that he gets help for his self.

chicory
Unfortunately, he's the only driver in the household, and the car we do have doesn't even start half the time. There is a bus he could take, and we could give him the $2 so he had it to come back with (and I'm a bit surprised the hospital didn't even offer it), but I don't think he would use the money to get home with, know what I mean?