I may have been the last person to see my brother alive

Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I may have been the last person to see my brother alive

After dropping my brother off at his apartment last night, I realized that I am probably the last person who will see him alive. He is in end-stage alcoholism,
severe malnutrition with extreme loss of muscle mass and body fat, he has inflammation of the pancreas and damage to his brain and heart. He has all the symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy such as, lack of awareness, inverted sleep patterns, extreme irritability, tremors and disorientation.

My brother is in essence, a just an empty shell of biological matter, deteriorating day by day. Last night, after being refused entry into the detox center, (for showing up intoxicated) I was called after he was taken to ER. For the next five hours at ER, he was combative, aggressive and ended up ripping out his IV line, blood dripping down his arm and on the floor, he signed himself out.

We spoke no words as I drove him home, I pulled over on his corner, he got out and walked to his apartment without a backward glance. I sat there for a moment and came to the realization that my little brother whom I have been mourning over the past year, was truly, dead.

The brother that 30 years ago, was funny, bright, and with a tender loving heart is gone. My heart aches for those days that we had, the memories will be my comfort. My prayer now, is that God, show His mercy and if it be His will, let my brother rest.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are experiencing the depths of this disease with your loved one...and pray for peace for your family.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry, raining. Hugs to you for your strength and bravery. ((((( )))))
Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.
What a sad post.
I am impressed at your ability to let go.
You are doing exactly what you should be doing.
It is not your fault that this happened.
We can't say why terrible things happen. We can just do our best to keep ourselves sane and at peace.
It sounds like you can love him, regardless of the choices he makes, while taking care of yourself.
We are here for you.
Keep posting

fp
Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It is INCREDIBLY sad and horrifying to see what this disease does to people.

I've seen what you've seen.

Hugs and prayers,
Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I too, am sorry. This is one nasty disease.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chaotically Peaceful

It tears your heart to pieces seeing someone you love destroy themselves. Alcoholism is a horrible disease. I am so very sorry.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raininginoregon View Post
After dropping my brother off at his apartment last night, I realized that I am probably the last person who will see him alive. He is in end-stage alcoholism,
severe malnutrition with extreme loss of muscle mass and body fat, he has inflammation of the pancreas and damage to his brain and heart. He has all the symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy such as, lack of awareness, inverted sleep patterns, extreme irritability, tremors and disorientation.

My brother is in essence, a just an empty shell of biological matter, deteriorating day by day. Last night, after being refused entry into the detox center, (for showing up intoxicated) I was called after he was taken to ER. For the next five hours at ER, he was combative, aggressive and ended up ripping out his IV line, blood dripping down his arm and on the floor, he signed himself out.

We spoke no words as I drove him home, I pulled over on his corner, he got out and walked to his apartment without a backward glance. I sat there for a moment and came to the realization that my little brother whom I have been mourning over the past year, was truly, dead.

The brother that 30 years ago, was funny, bright, and with a tender loving heart is gone. My heart aches for those days that we had, the memories will be my comfort. My prayer now, is that God, show His mercy and if it be His will, let my brother rest.
My heart truly aches for you, and for your brother. I wish alcohol was a living being- I would rip it to pieces with my bare hands.
prayers for comfort for your heart ache, and prayers that your brother may find peace.

chicory
Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Some people are too self-destructive to stay sober. It's not their fault, they're sick and can't help it. God bless you and your brother.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. It truly helps to have a place to go, share your fears, pain, heartbreak and hope with others that know what you are going through. Just knowing that others understand, makes the sorrow a little easier. It is bittersweet to know that others are praying for you, and at the same time, know that they too are experiencing this unique and sometimes uncompromisable sadness. Bless all of you that are in this unbelievably crazy world of loving an alcoholic. I pray for us all to be granted...... peace.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Raininginoregon,

I am so sorry for everything that you and your family are going through. Alcoholism is such a horrible horrible disease.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are a bunch of folks here who REALLY understand.

Welcome.

CLMI
Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Probably one of the most revealing posts about the ravages of the disease.

Thank you for the reminder about what many of us are up against.
I cried when I read this.

I am so very sorry for the pain of seeing your loved one like this.

Hope you find light soon.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi raininginoregon and welcome to SR.

I hope you'll continue to post and read here
and find some companionship
and maybe some comfort.

welcome.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Big hugs to you, and welcome to SR...I've only been posting here for a little while, but trust me, it really does help. It sounds like your brother and my husband are at about the same stage in their disease, and I think the only thing that's keeping my AH alive is the size of his unemployment checks. It's certainly the hardest thing I've ever had to face, and I think the hardest for a lot of people, to see someone drink themselves to death. My uncle died a few years ago from complications of alcoholism, and that was certainly hard -- now I am starting to fully appreciate what it must have been like for my dad to see his little brother go down the tubes like that. Sadly, it wasn't bad enough to get him to stop his own drinking, but still...

I couldn't agree more with a previous post -- if alcohol were a living, breathing being, I would likely be in prison for life, and the grisly crime scene photos would haunt people's dreams for decades. It's truly confounding just how many lives it has ruined, and taken.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i am saying a prayer to my higher power for your family.