Alcohol and Your Looks

Old 06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Your Looks

I have read many times that the heavy use of alcohol will ruin your looks. However, I have a friend that drinks beer everyday...all day long, and she looks beautiful. Her hair is shiny and healthy looking, her skin is flawless and smooth. She has a beautiful tan and her skin looks very creamy and not wrinkled at all. She is 47 years old and it doesn't seem that drinking alcohol everyday is hurting her looks. She has been drinking like this for years!

She never exercises and some days she will go all day without eating and only drink alcohol. Oh yes, I don't think I have ever seen her drink water at all.

Some people must be very lucky. Can anyone explain this?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Geeze.. imagine how healthy she would be if she WASNT putting a toxin into her body every day!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

No idea, luck of the genetic draw, perhaps? My A stepson's arms and legs became very thin, he had sores all over his face that would bleed as well as nosebleeds, his stomach was very distended, and his overall color was kind of like grey poupon.

I hope that your friends health continues. Perhaps she will decide to stop drinking from dawn to dusk someday.

Hugs, HG
Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She is actually a relative. I am in the fitness industry and it just boggles my mind because I work so hard to stay healthy and attractive, and she does nothing but harm herself inside and out and still looks beautiful.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first thing that came to my mind was the people who eat crap all day long for years and are skinny and beautiful. I am sure we all know somebody like this. It will catch up. I also wonder what her insides look like.
I am wondering if this could effect your sobriety in a negative way?? Just a thought. I Think it would effect me. "Hey, if she can look that awesome, maybe I can".
Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Programmaddict

From what I've seen, cigarettes are what destroys the physical appearance of most alcoholics. The alcohol generally just destroys the motivation to stay fit or look nice.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

She also smokes cigarettes!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

((GoodKarma)) I gave up trying to figure out something like this a long time ago. My sister, an RA, is typically considered better looking than I. She is taller, thinner, more athletic, and she abused herself horribly for years (does not any more thankfully!).

Just one of those things I'll never figure out and will drive myself crazy thinking it is unfair. It just is.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuesday24 View Post
The first thing that came to my mind was the people who eat crap all day long for years and are skinny and beautiful. I am sure we all know somebody like this. It will catch up. I also wonder what her insides look like.
I am wondering if this could effect your sobriety in a negative way?? Just a thought. I Think it would effect me. "Hey, if she can look that awesome, maybe I can".
Yes! This is my XABF exactly. He drinks himself silly, he eats fast food 2 meals a day, doesn't do any cardio. He goes to the gym, but its only to socialize and talk. He chews tobacco all day long no matter what he's doing. But, his body is cut and he still looks good. However, at the end I was starting notice his face looked really red all the time and a little wrinkled. And his hair was starting to fall out so he shaved his head. So, it does catch up. It just takes time. God knows what his insides looked like though.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

She'll make a pretty corpse.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My mom was so beautiful when she was younger... and even through her 30's and into her 40's. I think the cigarette smoke really aged her in her 40's and by the time she died at the age of 52 she was horribly wrinkled for her age... and her body was emaciated from chronic and acute pancreatitis and a type of alcohol related Diabetes. She popped all kinds of pills, continued to smoke, and drank right up until the last night when she overdosed.

And it never fails... when her old friends contact me on Facebook or wherever... they always say something to the effect of : You look so much like her, I always thought she was so pretty!

Very sad...