How do you "be" angry?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I like to read meditations on Thich Nhat Hanh's "Taming the Tiger Within." That helps calm me down.

http://www.amazon.com/Taming-Tiger-W.../dp/1573222887
Old 06-28-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
When walking, just walk
When sitting, just sit
When angry, just be angry
Above all, don't wobble.
Blue, I was just about to past this when the poo-poo hit the fan with my AW.

So, what I was going to finish with is that it is ok to feel anger. Go with it and then let go when its done. No guilt or any of that bs. When you try to analyze your anger while you are angry or feel guilty over being angry then you are wobbling. Its normal just like being happy or sad or .

Your friend,
Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Anger is such a huge part of my life - and I'm not even sure where the rage comes from. But one thing is for sure, I know I would drink to try and get rid of it. Pretty much destroying/throwing/hitting something was the only way I felt a little better. I have found that running now helps and yoga is huge. But when that rage takes over, destroying a piece of wood and smashing it on the ground still feels good. Its good to know you're not alone with rage and others have it as well, but its hard when you do feel alone with it.

It does pass and another day starts and hopefully again 1 more day sober. :-) Good luck you will make it!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

lately when the anger overtakes me, I meditate that "it's almost done, we're almost out, just a little bit longer, etc" and that helps dissipate it.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like to throw on some death metal and then club a few Seals.
Seriously though.

I let the emotion do it's thing but I no longer try and take action in that state.

Guitar lessons help. Hobbies help. SR helps. A therapist helps.

If I'm on the brink, I'll try and close my eyes. Count to 4 over and over again for 30 minutes. aka meditate
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Skipper

Yelling at the plumber like I did today, felt better.

Of course, we still have no water. grrrrr.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just close my eyes and picture the day that I burn the damn couch - in the room that our family is always in - that he always occupied. I am going to douse that thing in Kerosene and light it up and watch it burn! It's a great visual for me.

I am just counting the days until our temp hearing hoping I get the couch....

Last edited by Happiness Fairy; 06-28-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: not burning the couch in the family room... :)
Old 06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oooooo.....I had completely forgotten about the whole "ripping things up" bit. I have, on occasion, taken a stack of scrap paper and piece by piece just ripped it to tiny little bits.

And it's a lot less expensive when you run out of pillows!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

As a "I don't angry" kind of person (or so I thought in younger days), I didn't know HOW to feel angry!
What worked so far has been writing and art in dark, angry writing.
Waiting till I was home alone and SCREAMING and CRYING and SCREAMING all the feelings and things I wanted to say.

That day I really did that made me very hoarse the next day, but it was SO worth it.
Check out The Dance of Anger.
That's good.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I know primal, homicidal anger...

You are doing so much better than how I was doing then!

To me its been 2.5 years of No contact with XABF and Thank God many more days of not having contact with him at work. As life keeps on happening, I have found its not so much about "getting rid" of anger or "getting" rid of the pain, more like allowing fun and joy and peace in your life, too...

Sports are also a huge outlet for me.... and listening to people who have no problem feeling angry, like Eminem.

Also in therapy (and you could do this by yourself as well) we go back to situations where I felt like a victim and set the record straight, reply back, punch, set on fire, kill etc etc whoever "owes me". At some point it extends to the parents and to yourself.. that one is the toughest one, the anger against myself for letting so many things... but without exception I end up feeling grateful I see reality now and actually feel ANGER when all before was sadness or indifference. To me anger is a healthy sign that I am changing. A confirmation that NO, whatever happened was NOT ok.

You are doing all the right things.. keep on getting it out of your system somehow.
I recommend box, kickboxing, martial arts, yoga,
Hugs!