Sandcastles

Old 06-25-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sandcastles

I'd like to share a passage from a book by Max Lucado called And the Angels were Silent. The passage is entitled "Sandcastles" and illustrates the importance of choosing what gifts to treasure.

Sandcastles

Hot sun. Salty air. Rhythmic waves. A little boy is on the beach. On his knees as he scoops and packs the sand with plastic shovels into a bright red bucket. Then he upends the bucket on the surface and lifts it. And to the delight of the little architect, a sandcastle is created.

All afternoon he will work. Spooning out the moat. Packing the walls. Bottle tops will be sentries. Popsicle sticks will be bridges. A sandcastle will be built.

Big city. Busy streets. Rumbling traffic. A man in his office.

At his desk, he shuffles papers into stacks and delegates assignments. He cradles the phone on his shoulder and punches the keyboard with his fingers. Numbers are juggled and contracts signed. And much to the delight of the man, a profit is made.

All his life he will work. Formulating the plans. Forecasting the future. Annuities will be sentries. Capital gains will be bridges. An empire will be built.

Two builders of two sandcastles. They have much in common. They shape granules into grandeurs. They see nothing and make something. They are diligent and determined. And for both the tide will rise and the end will come.

Yet, that is where the similarities cease. For the boy sees the end, while the man ignores it.

So one is prepared, and one isn't. One is peaceful while the other panics.

As the waves near, the wise child jumps to his feet and begins to clap. There is no sorrow. No fear. No regret. He knew this would happen. He is not surprised. And when the great breaker crashes into his castle and his masterpiece is sucked into the sea, he smiles. He smiles, picks up his tools, takes his father's hand, and goes home.

What message do I see? I know I want to be the wise boy who can see the end. I want to be prepared. And peaceful. What am I building today? What am I treasuring? What am I placing value in?? Things that will one day get washed away like so much sand on the beach? I want to clap, with no sorrow, no fear and no regrets...smile and go home.

This story was very thought-provoking to me, and I just wanted to share.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you, MissC for posting that inspirational story. I am in a very pensive place these days and this story dovetails so beautifully with my recent thoughts. Also...the beach has been calling me from all different directions and I'm not even much of a 'beach person'! Maybe I'll get up early tomorrow and head that way....
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Skipper

Miss,

I love Max Lucado's stuff, and this story in particular. It'd been awhile since I've read this one. I'm so happy to know it touched you so!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Present

Originally Posted by Rayn3dr0p View Post
Swami Rama...lost several lawsuits
Goes to show you, even people who do/say "bad" things can do/say great things. I think it's ours to take what we want...prosecute when necessary??? ...and leave the rest

MissChievous, thanks for the share. It was a great story. Life is such a gift. Living in joy is, IMHO, like showing appreciation for the gift.