Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

June 23/24/25 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON: Steps 9, 10 & 11

June 23/24/25 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON: Steps 9, 10 & 11

Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

Hello Friends and Families of Alcoholics,

I apologize for having missed yesterday and most of today. Upon typing these out (I do them in a word processor and then copy them, and paste them here), I realized that these three days in a row - yesterday, today and tomorrow - deal with Steps 9, 10 and 11, so I present them for your consideration in this thread.

Best to you now, and always.

June 23 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

What is to be done with the list of those we have harmed, as suggested in the Eighth Step? The Ninth suggests we make amends, “…wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.”

Prudent and honest self-searching will be necessary.

A casual apology, for example, is rarely enough to get rid of guilt for damaging criticism. It may, indeed, reopen an old wound. A change of attitude can do much more to make up for past unkindness.

If I have deprived anyone of any material thing, I will acknowledge the debt and pay it in full.

Rifts between me and my relatives or former friends can often be healed by swallowing my pride and making the first overtures toward rec9onciliation. Even if only a little of the blame was mine, the generous gesture will benefit me.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Step nine, taken with care and prudent judgment, will relieve me of a burden I have no need to carry.

“Love and patience can make ample amends for past injuries; they restore us to sanity and our lives to serenity.”

June 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

In the Steps, which precede the Tenth, we have been dealing with the past – cleaning house, so to speak. We have searched the corners of memory for grievances to be adjusted by means of our new view of our role in life. Now, with Step Ten, this procedure becomes a daily ritual, a housecleaning that takes place in a nightly review of the day’s happenings.

“Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.”

If this Step becomes a part of our daily life, there will be no backlog of guilt to worry about; we keep order as we go along.

TODAY’S REMINDER

The Tenth Step is essential to the Al-Anon promise I make to myself to live one day at a time. Although I cannot expect to achieve perfection, I can observe my progress and enjoy the deep satisfactions it can bring me. It may have a little obvious effect on my outward circumstances at first, but keeping myself receptive to solutions will guide me to them.

“Look to yourself – it is there that all your answers are found.”

June 25 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

It is in Step Eleven that I find the actively-spiritual prescription for the practice of Al-Anon program:

“Sought, through prayer and meditation, to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.”

If we are living by the Al-Anon counsel FIRST THINGS FIRST, prayer and meditation come before all else, since it is in this way that we receive guidance for our decisions.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Am I too busy to pray? Have I no time for meditation? Then let me ask myself whether I have been able to solve my problems without help. As I face them day by day, I want to acknowledge my need for His guidance. I will not let this day pass – nor any day from now on – without making myself consciously aware of God.

“It is God that girdeth me with strength and maketh my way perfect.” Psalms