SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Comedy relief! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/229904-comedy-relief.html)

bruingirl 06-21-2011 04:46 PM

Comedy relief!

I don't know about you all, but I personally love me some Stephen Colbert! I love his show and I think he is hilarious! Was watching this video of the commencement speech he just recently gave at Northwestern University and thought it was pretty funny if anyone just needed a laugh to brighten their day! :)

YouTube - ‪Stephen Colbert 2011 Commencement Speech at Northwestern University‬‏

It was also kind of enlightening at the end for me too. He says, "You've all been told to follow your dreams...but what if your dream is stupid? Thankfully, dreams change. If we'd all stuck with our first dreams the world would be overrun with cowboys and princesses".

I think for me, I stayed in my relationship with XABF so long because I had a dream of how things would work out. And I thought, as a lot of us might have, about just how good things COULD be if the A was in recovery. That dream kept me caught up for such a long time shouldering all of his craziness. I kept deluding myself into thinking that all my hard efforts in the relationship would "pay off" eventually. But that day never came. I had come up with such an elaborate vision with a person I (naively) thought I would be with forever, only to have my vision "shattered".

These days I'm happy to be able to say that what I want has changed. I'm not going to say that it was a "stupid dream" that I had with XABF, but just one that I realized wasn't really realistic and one that I don't want anymore. Anyway I digress haha. Hope you are all well out there in SRdom! :)

LexieCat 06-21-2011 05:10 PM

That's a great thing to realize. Love the line about being overrun by cowboys and princesses! Ain't that the truth. And when we grow up we get fed those lovely movies where the faith and love win out for the happy couple.

Not that those things never happen, but they sure don't happen as easily (and justly) as they do in the movies.

It isn't that they are stupid dreams, but they often aren't realistic. We get hooked into a mythology and fall in love with the idea of being in love. To the point where we just don't accept what our senses are telling us.

Glad to hear you are feeling more up these days. Keep watching Colbert--a good laugh is very healing!

Tuffgirl 06-21-2011 05:21 PM

LOVED it! Way better than my University commencement speakers, but hey, I am not Northwestern. Dillo Day - LOL!

Thanks for sharing.

Tuffgirl 06-21-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 3008193)
That's a great thing to realize. Love the line about being overrun by cowboys and princesses! Ain't that the truth. And when we grow up we get fed those lovely movies where the faith and love win out for the happy couple.

Not that those things never happen, but they sure don't happen as easily (and justly) as they do in the movies.

It isn't that they are stupid dreams, but they often aren't realistic. We get hooked into a mythology and fall in love with the idea of being in love. To the point where we just don't accept what our senses are telling us.

Glad to hear you are feeling more up these days. Keep watching Colbert--a good laugh is very healing!

Lexie were you in my therapy appointment today?!

LexieCat 06-21-2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl (Post 3008206)
Lexie were you in my therapy appointment today?!

Yes. I was behind the potted plant.

If I hadn't lost weight, you might have seen me. :)

LexieCat 06-21-2011 06:00 PM

Aw, man, I just watched the whole speech--awesome!

bruingirl 06-21-2011 06:31 PM

Haha isn't it funny?!

Lexiecat, I'm totally THAT girl that "loves being in love" and deludes herself to accept things that should otherwise be unacceptable in a relationship. I almost feel better still being with someone and having issues with them than just being all alone.

But I'm learning all that means is I still need to work on myself and my recovery. The only person I really need is me after all. Onwards!

Tuffgirl 06-21-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 3008217)
Yes. I was behind the potted plant.

If I hadn't lost weight, you might have seen me. :)

OMG seriously this guy has a big potted plant in his office! Someone could hide behind it...LMAO! I will not be able to keep a straight face.....