June 18 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

June 18 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

June 18 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

The Greek philosopher Socrates said, “Know Thyself.” Step Four tells us how to go about it, making “…a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.” We are to see ourselves as we really are; our characters, motives, attitudes and actions.

A deeply rooted habit of self-justification may tempt me to explain away each fault as I uncover it. Will I blame others for what I do on the ground that I am compelled to react to their wrongdoing?

It has been said that even a trained psychiatrist cannot analyze himself because of such blocks. This will challenge me to prove that personal honesty and humility can achieve what superior knowledge often cannot.

TODAY’S REMINDER

A total inventory of my good and bad qualities can be interesting and useful as a start on my work with Step Four. But when I am ready to dig in and correct my shortcomings, I will work on only one or two at a time and for as long as it takes to satisfy me that I have made real progress in erasing them.

“Perfection is a long way off, but improvement can be made to happen every day.”