The codie itch...

Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The codie itch...

I am at a really good place in my life. But I feel distracted, I feel like I am looking for something...I am having trouble staying in the moment. I am thinking about a future relationship, or job, or country or ...anything. This is my pattern, using fantasy to get out of reality, but I don't want to keep doing it.

I want to enjoy the peacefulness that my HP has helped me create, but I am not sure how.

Ideas?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

how about turning your fantasies into reality? maybe since you're in a good enough space, you have all of this energy now--creative energy to start something new?

change doesn't necessarily mean childish distractions--it only means that if they're merely fantasies you escape into and not turn into realities.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you are right, it is energy, both mental and physical.

I need to start exercising or playing sports again, and to read or take a class.

Thanks for reframing that for me, I was struggling to understand myself.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Mayaa...

Maybe start with making a "bucket" list? (The phrase is from a movie about two terminally ill men who make a list of the 1,000 things they want to do before they die!) And then start with the "low hanging" fruit... work on the easy stuff and build up to the bigger, longer term things!

I know for me - I think of happiness in different "plans" - right now, 1-yr, 5-yr, and 10yr. What do I want RIGHT NOW? (For me, that's a hot shower, a yummy breakfast, and a good cup of coffee!) What do I want in 1-yr? (For me, that's to be back in good solid physical shape to either run a marathon or bike 100 miles again). The longer out the plan is... the more cloudy the wants get... but I think it's good to at least look there. Have a concept of where your heading so you make the decisions today that keep you pointed in that direction.

Congrats on being in a good place... this is when the magic really starts to happen
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A zen exercise I use when this happens to me is "counting breaths". You don't have to alter your breathing or do deep breathing or anything esoteric. Simply count 1 when you breathe in and 2 when you breath out and keep adding one until you get to 10.

Its very good for bringing you back to the here and now and recreating that state of mindfullness.

BTW, fantasies are sometimes a good outlet.

Your friend,
Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I sometimes recite the serenity prayer
Old 06-15-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

help somebody else?

volunteer for something?

Wondered about you,
glad you're checking in!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going to my first Al-anon meeting tonight. My counselor suggested this forever, but I just now got the schedule to make it work, now just to find the place! Nicaraguan directions are never clear
I have been going to an orphanage any am starting the process to adopt here, so that is a big, new change that may be coming our (my daughter and I's) way.
I think checking into the morning and bedtime gratitude lists is helping me as well.
Thanks for all of your ideas!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to the meeting! It was great.
Going back on Monday

Feeling better already...