Do you drink around your RA?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I dont drink when my sisters around, none of the family do. I also keep it from her sometimes if me & my friends have a night out planned as that sparks of the self pity in her & I end up the bad one because I have a life..she makes me feel so guilty sometimes
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

As a recovering alcoholic, I've gone to business functions where people drank and I didn't. It's ok. But having dinner with someone close who is drinking would make me cranky because I can't.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I did want to clarify one thing. My saying that I won't drink around my AF has nothing to do with feeling as though his recovery is my responsibility. However, part of my recovery from his abusive behavior involves avoiding those situations that may trigger one of his multiple-hour, insane rants. If he's in a situation with alcohol, he'll take advantage of the situation. I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure others with alkies in the family have come to the same conclusion. We each have different coping mechanisms according to our circumstances, and, personally, I think that's okay.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm not a big drinker, I can live without it. I do not drink at home around my RAH. If I want a cocktail (which is rarely), I have a stash he can't get to (the bottle's about a year old.. hehe)... He says he doesn't mind if we're out at dinner and I have a glass of wine. I'd just assume not drink around him, it's more important to me that I help him as best I can in his recovery than have a cocktail - to the extent I can without being controlling - working my Al Anon program.....