June 3 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

Philosophers, clear back to the ancient Greeks, have always made much of the idea of correcting bad habits by daily practice of good ones. In Al-Anon, we make much of this, too. We learn we cannot go on functioning as we have been, impulsively and automatically, if we hope to improve our lives.

If we really do want peace of mind, the first thing to realize is that it Does Not Depend On Conditions Outside Us, but those inside us. An honest search of our own motives may show that we relish our martyrdom or that we fear, subconsciously, that we deserve it.

When we find the causes of our distress and frustration, we can establish corrective habits to overcome them.

TODAY’S REMINDER

A program of self-recognition and self-change “reads easy and does hard.” Many failures come from trying to do too much too fast – and from expecting results overnight. I will search out just one fault, one bad habit, and work to eliminate that. As I observe the changes this effort brings about in my outside circumstances, I will find the courage to keep on changing myself for the better.

“It is no easy thing for a principle to become a man’s own unless each day he maintain it and work it out in his life.” - Epictetus