Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

will the hospital take in someone who hasnt drank today but doesnt feel well?

will the hospital take in someone who hasnt drank today but doesnt feel well?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
m91

Exclamation will the hospital take in someone who hasnt drank today but doesnt feel well?

my dad has been drinking heavily for over a week now, and he finally decided he wants to stop. but he doesnt feel well and wants to continue drinking so im telling him that we should go to the hospital so he can feel better. he finally agreed, but i need to know if they will take him in the emergency room?
and what will they do to him? will he have to wait a long time in the waiting room?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The only way to know is to take him there and find out. They'll see him, but it might not be right away. It will depend on how many other people were there ahead of you and they will see the more serious patients first.

It's good that he's willing to go, so I'd get him there before he changes his mind.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
m91

he keeps asking me these questions and i dont know, we are currently waiting for my uncle since i dont have a car at the moment but we are going.. and he doesnt want to wait in the waiting room

Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, what he wants and what he gets might not be the same thing. Pretty much everyone has to wait in the waiting room unless they are brought in by ambulance or are obviously in need of immediate attention.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you are in the U.S., yes he will receive a medical evaluation. Whether or not he is hospitalized vs. Referred for outpatient therapy depends on a variety of factors, including comorbid conditions, level of physical and mental instability, social supports, and compliance with treatment.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
m91

hes very anxious and i dont want him to end up wanting to leave the hospital if they dont take him in quick... and yes we are in the U.S... and thank you for the information!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The only thing I can suggest is you might try calling the ER and explaining your situation and asking if they can give you an estimated wait time. Other than that, when you go to any ER, you are pretty much stuck with whatever you get.