SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Can an ambulance take someone to the hospital even though the person doesnt wanttogo? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/228495-can-ambulance-take-someone-hospital-even-though-person-doesnt-wanttogo.html)

m91 06-02-2011 05:03 PM

Can an ambulance take someone to the hospital even though the person doesnt wanttogo?

please i am desperate my dad is extremely drunk i had never seen him like this he keeps telling me to be quiet and i dont know whats going on i dont like seeing him like this i am so afraid please someone help me
will the ambulance take him even though he doesnt want to get help or go to the hospital???

Ladybug0130 06-02-2011 05:11 PM

I don't think so, my AH was staying in a motel room recently drinking heavily and a friend of his went to check on him. She was panicked because she had never seen anyone so drunk before and called his mom to ask advice. His mom said to call an ambulance. The ambulance came and AH refused to go. They didn't take him. I don't know how drunk someone has to be before they can be forced to go, if at all. Maybe passed out? Maybe making threats against you or himself? Beyond that, I am not sure.

But, maybe you can call anyway if you feel you must. Perhaps once people are there he will agree to go even if he says he doesn't want you to call. Or if he doesn't agree to go, he probably won't remember any of it in the morning anyway.

suki44883 06-02-2011 05:13 PM

Probably not, hon. I know how hard this is. I lived with the same stuff growing up. Is there some place you can go for the night? Is your mother at home?

kittykitty 06-02-2011 05:15 PM

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

If he doesn't want help, there isn't much you can do but get out of his way.

If he threatens you in any way, call the police. They will come and get him.

If he has threatened suicide, or he is injured, call 911, and they will come and get him.

If he tries to get in a vehicle and drive, call the police and give them the vehicle information and they will find him.

Otherwise there isn't much you can do. He is an adult, and if he wants to be drunk and disorderly at his own house, he has every right to do so.

Just do your best to stay out of his way.

m91 06-02-2011 05:17 PM

yes my mother is home, and im 20 years old but i have never seen my dad THIS drunk. hes been drunk for maybe a little over a week already, drinking non stop... and vodka his eyes look cockeyed he cant even stare straight i am so so scared right now, its killing me i feel so helpless :( i keep insisting we go to the hospital that itll be real quick, to please go but he just keeps slurring hes going to get better but hes been saying that all week but instead hes getting worse and worse :'( i love my dad with all of my heart

Impurrfect 06-02-2011 05:20 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this, but I agree with the others...unless they feel he is in immediate danger to himself (suicidal or if he lets them take his blood pressure and it's extremely high) or danger to others, an ambulance will usually not take them against their wishes.

I'm sending you many, many hugs and prayers, as I can only imagine how hard this is. I also agree...is there somewhere you can go to just get away a little bit? I know you're concerned about him, but unless he's willing to do something to help himself, he's going to do what he wants, whether you're there or not.

As you can see, others have been through this, so maybe just hang around with us for a while. I know it's gotten me through some really rough times.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Seren 06-02-2011 05:25 PM

We called the ambulance once on my stepson, and he AGREED to go. Sadly, it all came to nothing because he refused to stay and be treated.

My stepson is a polysubstance abuser and alcoholic. He does not think he has a problem. He has been in and out of jail several times over the past 2 years and has threatened to kill 3 members of his own family.

If you father is threatening his own life ("I'm going to kill myself") or someone else's life ("I'm going to kill you"), please call the police. They will take him to the hospital.

I know you love your Dad with all your heart. We all love our addicts and alcoholics but, as Dee is quoted in Kitty's signature line, "We simply can't help those who won't help themselves."

I'm know you are frightened and worried. I know this is probably one of the scarriest things you've been through. We are here for you. Keep posting, keep talking......

Huge hugs and many prayers, HG

m91 06-02-2011 05:25 PM

hes been drinking since i was little but i dont remember ever seeing him as bad as he is he wont even get out of bed :( he can barely talk he doesnt want to see anyone or even eat, and i cant leave my dad like this im scared for him :(

lillamy 06-02-2011 05:26 PM

No, but the police might.

Ladybug0130 06-02-2011 05:31 PM

Keep reading the forum, it will help you at least. It has helped me!

m91 06-02-2011 05:35 PM

hes not threatning though, hes just in bed :( i feel so helpless i want him to stop drinking and get better this so painful to see him like this

fourmaggie 06-02-2011 05:36 PM

is there maybe a safe place you and your mom can go for the nite? is he abusive?...
~sending my prayers to you...stay here on the SR group, we can help....by the way...maybe its time for your mom and you for AL ANON? do you go? this will help ALOT...so much wisdom in those rooms...trust me...

m91 06-02-2011 05:43 PM

i dont want to leave my dad alone like this :( and he isnt abusive or else i wouldnt even be here
we are going to try to get one of his friends to talk to him and maybe he can convince him to go to the hospital
thank you so much for the prayers that means alot to me
and me and my mom dont go to al-anon but i want to start going,