What to do? Oh what to do?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Here's a good thread to read:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-chapters.html

And a good book to have on hand!

Abuse is not ok. Never ok. Never justifiable. And you have a baby to protect...this is your one shot with her to get it right. I know its hard, especially when they pull the Mr. Nice Guy routine again. When you feel self-doubt, look at your baby. She has a right to a calm and peaceful childhood, too.

Stay strong, lilmama.
~T
Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling calmer now that you've been at your mom's for a bit. To answer your question if you should go for full custody, yes. Will your daughter hate you later? Doubtful. Kids are very smart. She'll know you did this to give her a safe home and as good a childhood as possible. Talk to those DV counselors and a lawyer, they can give you all of the information you need for your particular case and for your state. I'm really glad you left...he sounds abusive in addition to having addictions.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, and welcome,

Glad you are out of that situation. Just so you know, your getting "full custody" doesn't mean he won't see his daughter. He will have a right to see her, and if he isn't safe to be with her alone, his time with her will have to be supervised by a responsible person. Sometimes that is a relative; sometimes supervised visits happen at the courthouse where someone from the court can keep an eye on him.

If you can't afford a lawyer, I suggest you contact Legal Services for some help.