SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Update!!!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/227912-update.html)

MissGuided 05-25-2011 01:31 PM

Update!!!!

Hello All!

I just wanted to give you a quick update on whats been happening as it has been some time since I have been on here.

So my husband was diagnosed with cirrhossis and was really at deaths door.

anyway that was 4 months ago and he is doing fantastically well! hasnt touched a drop and his numbers have improved so much, he doesnt even have to go on the transplant list anymore YAY!!

he was told though that if he started drinking again he would probably be dead within weeks so he has chosen life and the funny thing is he says he doesnt even miss it or crave it.
He doesnt go to AA, I guess its not for everyone, his motivation is the thought that it nearly killed him and the pain and suffering he endured was enough to stop the craving in its tracks.
He has a wonderful relationship with our 3 year old now too.

Unfortunately while I know he would like us to get back together again, thats not going to happen. Yes he is the man I always wanted him to be now but its too late, our marrriage was a casualty of his alcoholism.
But we are the very best of friends and do stuff together with our daughter to maintain a healthy upbringing for her.

So I wanted to tell you that there can be hope. No I dont know what the future holds, I could be back on here again next week starting a thread about him drinking again but for the now, he is doing well and i have allowed myself to hope for the first time.

Thank you all for your incredible support during my difficult time.
And Thank you for letting me share and reading this

:grouphug:

MissGuided 05-25-2011 01:44 PM

It was only after I posted this that I read Room6er's thread.

I would like to say that it was thoughtless of me not to check any recent threads to ensure mine wouldnt be insesnitve at the moment.
I apologize profusely :(

StarCat 05-25-2011 03:02 PM

:hug:
Do not worry, there is nothing "insensitive" about posting your own experience.
Sometimes it is good to have both sides of the story.

I am glad that he's getting better - that's so exciting!

It is sad that there are so many causalities to alcoholism...
It's very exciting that he's taking steps to insure that he isn't one of them.

:hug:
Thank you for posting.

banisheggshells 05-25-2011 03:02 PM

I love that even though he's sober, you are keeping your boundaries and keeping yourself and your child safe. Nice!!!!

LexieCat 05-25-2011 03:22 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your happy update news!

I hope he is now able to appreciate his life in sobriety--AA is always there if he wants it or needs it.

Glad, too, that you have been able to rebuild a happy and supportive relationship. It will be GREAT for your child to have parents who cooperate and support her and each other.

You put a great big smile on my face!

MeredithD1 05-25-2011 03:45 PM

I agree with StarCat. I'm glad you let us know. I hope he continues on the high road!

Cyranoak 05-25-2011 04:00 PM

No apology necessary at all...

...nor was it insensitive. She is sharing her experience, tragic though it is, and you are sharing yours--that's one of the purposes of this forum. I'm thankful to both of you for doing it.

That said and IMHO, please remember that recovery is, was, and always will be one day at a time.

I'm glad things are going this way for you right now.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by MissGuided (Post 2980011)
It was only after I posted this that I read Room6er's thread.

I would like to say that it was thoughtless of me not to check any recent threads to ensure mine wouldnt be insesnitve at the moment.
I apologize profusely :(